Hughes & Kettner 100 switchblade or Boss Katana?

notanonnotanon Frets: 610
edited September 2017 in Amps
Which one? I know questions will be what kind of tone budget etc but AFAIU Boss = new technology, H&K = German quality: that is the real question for these amps.  I understand no right or wrong a kind of a vote question I guess.

More info: I could bid to £200+ for H&K which was a  £1K amp originally. However time flies with respect to technology. Offer me a £1k computer from 5 years ago and I think you are looking at  £300 max. BTW I do know that there are marketing phenomena such as Apple - please don't correct me about depreciation and get into a lengthy discussion on things like ROI, NPV . .. . . I'm looking for serious advice here on amps and technology not marketing but of course quality is important hence the question.

Don't mean to be curt here but you know how it goes sometimes - TFB is exceptional on advice IMHO.

Feedback Appreciated Folks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've owned both, so that puts me in a relatively unique position I'd guess. 

FWIW I'd take the katana. Weight plus connectivity plus reliability trumps a slightly better sounding amp. The h&k is a fantastic bit of kit but the katana delivers in spades and is easy to use, transport and store as well as having more up to date connectivity. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 610
    Thanks @Legionreturns advice appreciated
  • notanon said:
    Thanks @Legionreturns advice appreciated

No worries. And in all honesty, I'd be happy with either amp. Having owned both though, I still have a katana. That probably tells you what you need to know.

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited September 2017
    *Double post*

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793
    edited September 2017
    @Legionreturns has nailed this one for you I think, but it is fair to say the Katana is an exceptional amp for the money and damn good full stop.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Neither will disappoint but it depends what you want to use it for really.
    The H&K may be overkill for a home amp.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    In addition a new Kattana will be guaranteed and the Kattana is way easier to resell..most folk simply don't want big heavy amps anymore. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Not used a katana, but didn't think much of the switchblade.

Being German doesn't mean well built... Certainly they have some good built amps but some h+k stuff I've heard is unreliable.