Which Speakers?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• strat84strat84 Frets: 317
    They're quite easy to make if you have access to a jigsaw? Some decent plywood (I use 12mm) and 4 T nuts and screws to suit ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    @strat84 - I do have a jigsaw - results usually look like I actually used a shotgun to make the hole

How easy it is it do (or more specifically, how round does the hole have to be not to risk the speaker cone?

The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dcgdcg Frets: 231
    a Scumnico SC75 is a truly wonderful invocation of an early Celestion, and totally worth the money (he said modestly)...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    SunDevil said:
    @strat84 - I do have a jigsaw - results usually look like I actually used a shotgun to make the hole

How easy it is it do (or more specifically, how round does the hole have to be not to risk the speaker cone?
    Very easy. It's not usual for the speaker cone to be able to move far enough forward to contact the baffle even if it's not round, or substantially smaller than the speaker - that's the purpose of the thick gasket round the edge, as well as to make the gap fairly airtight. Many amps have non-round speaker holes where a logo plate crosses the speaker, or on something like an old AC30, a bar right across the hole to protect the speaker a bit better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• strat84strat84 Frets: 317
    Haha! It's quite easy if you take your time - the last one I did I actually ordered a round piece of plywood the exact size I needed from a shop on ebay, then it's just the hole in the middle to cut. 

You can always sand the edge of the hole if it's not completely round. Don't worry about the cone as that shouldn't touch the surface of the plywood