Wish Boss would update the RE20

I love my Boss space echo - it's taken me a couple of years to really bond with it but it's now permanently on the board (in fact I bought a Metro 24 specifically to fit it on), everything else is dialled in nicely with it, I love the sounds and find it super easy to dial in. 

It does have one or two quirks which mildly bug me occasionally - I'd rather have the choice bypassing the COSM preamp and input gain for instance, but at the same time I can dial in the amp etc to adjust for that, and the slightly raised noise floor is inaudible unless I'm playing at home, right next to the amp and actively listening for it between notes. 

I have looked at other tape delay pedals, including the posh ones, and realised that basically what I'd most like is an RE20 with a couple of minor updates, for instance:

Choice of bypassing the preamp
Control over modulation/tape 'age' etc - would be brilliant to have USB editing of the tape, heads and preamp modelling. 

I'd very tempted by the DD-500 if the tape model algorithm was a straight update of the RE20. Anyone tried both? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had the re20 as well and loved it, I sold it a while back because, I wanted to simplify stuff. However I’ve just picked up an el capistan. It does everything the boss does and more. 

Its is a really deep pedal, if you spend time with the manual really exploring it there’s a lot of sounds in there. If tape sounds are your thing. The extra Easter eggs like the looper, reverb and boost etc. It’s my first real boutique pedal so some of this maybe the afterglow, watch some demos, it’s as simple or as complex as you want it to be. Favourite switch is a must IMO.
  • wayneirie said:
    I had the re20 as well and loved it, I sold it a while back because, I wanted to simplify stuff. However I’ve just picked up an el capistan. It does everything the boss does and more. 

Its is a really deep pedal, if you spend time with the manual really exploring it there’s a lot of sounds in there. If tape sounds are your thing. The extra Easter eggs like the looper, reverb and boost etc. It’s my first real boutique pedal so some of this maybe the afterglow, watch some demos, it’s as simple or as complex as you want it to be. Favourite switch is a must IMO.
    After looking at the demos, I'm definitely going to have to try one now! The El Capistan does seem to tick all the boxes and the demos sound incredible. 
  • I love my RE-20 too.

The rv-500 has an RE-201 emulation in it. Might be worth investigating? 
  • I love my RE-20 too.

The rv-500 has an RE-201 emulation in it. Might be worth investigating? 
    Ironically, something like the El Capistan would be the cheaper option! (Not counting possibly inevitable upgrade to isolated power from daisychain) 
  • There are some DD-500 patches that emulate a Roland Space Echo. They sound good to me however I have never played a Space Echo so I can't compare.  

I'm guessing, as UnclePsychosis said, the RV-500 would be the best bet.  
  • I had an re-20 and now have a dd500.

As yet I can't get the dd500 to sound much like the re-20.  The dd500 does have a re-201 setting but without the clanky reverb and pre-amp (which are vital to the space echo vibe IMO) it really is a just a facsimile of what the re-20 can do.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    any RE20 owner compared that new space echo inspired pedal by Nux to it?
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited October 2017
    yeah like a Nano version.... could call it the RE-2() Space-Saver Echo

http://i65.tinypic.com/2eey2r5.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>