Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Single guitarist bands and good songs

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    We have an 80 song set of pop covers, and can do 74 of them if the other guitarist can't make the gig. 

It's usually about holding something back dynamically, giving yourself somewhere to go when you need to build it.

Ironically, songs with complex chords and arrangements are easier than a lot of guitar band stuff. 

If you nail the chordal complexities of songs like Blame it on the Boogie or I Will Survive on your own on an acoustic at home they always sound immense in a 3-piece. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Nellie The Elephant by The Toy Dolls.

TBH it's not very simple but requires no soloing ( often a problem area with single man bands) and is incredibly recognisable. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • CHrisP86CHrisP86 Frets: 360
    Thanks, more good suggestions there.

Think my original post is a bit confusing but as others have commented the originals don't need to have been done by a 3 piece band, just need to be workable in a 3 pierce format.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I play in 2 different single guitar bands, and we've got 70+ songs in our repertories. Plenty of stuff that was originally recorded with two or more guitars, but perfectly possible to play. Sure they'll be some songs that "need" the extra guitar but there's sure isn't a shortage of stuff that you can cover.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    In which case I'd listen to arrangements by people like Jon Gomm, great for stealing ideas which work in a single guitar band. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Rory Gallagher. He more than got by.........
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Ash -  Goldfinger ...

The Undertones - Teenage kicks (I think they had two guitars but you can play it with one)

The Cult - She sells sanctuary

Billy Idol - Rebel yell/White wedding

Free - All right now

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!