Teaching fat one!

Playing an E formation bar chord with the thumb covering the 6th string low E (muting the 5th string A) a la Hendrix style. That releases the pinky to perform frills - you know what I mean. How many people could not reach the thumb over the fretboard to play like that but managed to do that with training / practice? How long did it take? Does it just depend on congenital disposition?

As usual - thanks in advance for any advice ;-)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    I can do it with unremarkable anatomy.
    Use as little a bar as possible with the the first finger on e and b.  The part of my thumb that makes contact with the string is quite far up the first joint away from the tip.

Not really a fan of it though.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    @Veganic ;

I can do it but almost all the way back to the end joint on my thumb - really doesn't feel comfortable at all in any way. I agree not a big fan either just curious. When I do it I feel in a seized position rather than fluid. Hendrix and others seem to do it and they are using the tips of their thumb like a finger on an F chord - strange.
  • I've never found it comfortable either so, for that reason, I've always just done a barre with my first finger as an alternative. So far I've always managed to be able to do Hendrix type stuff using that approach.
    It's not a competition.
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 607
    ^^ Yep this - I think you have a 'normal thumb' similar to mine. Hendrix did apparently have unusual appendages!
  • It's one of those techniques that's actually easier to play standing up, as your arm angle helps you to get over the top easier.

I never found it comfortable either until I learnt to play Little Wing. Now feels a lot more intuitive, and I've started to do all of my F barre chords with my thumb over the top.

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    It took me forever.