Katana Update!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• These seem to do the sludgy heavy rock and metal thing (pardon my lack of vocab) but can they do scratchy indie garage type guitar? Like White Stripes (not the fuzz sound), Strokes etc etc?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    @thecolourbox - yep, easily.  They're adaptable to pretty much any genre with a bit of tweaking.  The crunch channel would be ideal for what you're talking about.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11766
    These seem to do the sludgy heavy rock and metal thing (pardon my lack of vocab) but can they do scratchy indie garage type guitar? Like White Stripes (not the fuzz sound), Strokes etc etc?
    The Katana does this on "Crunch", the Blackstar ID Core's do it well on "Super Crunch"
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    ^ great minds think alike!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • Hmm ok I'll have to have a listen and a try as I didn't find the Blackstar to do it at all to be honest, but then I only had the basic ID core so maybe it requires more tweaking. Thanks guys
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    usedtobe said:
    2 button switch for the k50. Jobs a good un!
    Is that just to go between ch1 and ch2?
    one button for bank, other for channel 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
     thecolourbox said:
    Hmm ok I'll have to have a listen and a try as I didn't find the Blackstar to do it at all to be honest, but then I only had the basic ID core so maybe it requires more tweaking. Thanks guys
    The ID core baby models are great bits of kit, not as good as the Katana but as desktop amps for 100 quid they are exceptionally versatile.

The Katana is the bomb though.
    I want to play with my amps now too late at night but I love the boost you guys give me!
  • usedtobe said:
    usedtobe said:
    Thanks, @usedtobe How many banks can you have and how does it work? Just cycle through? Any kind of latching switch, yeah?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    usedtobe said:
    usedtobe said:
    Thanks, @usedtobe How many banks can you have and how does it work? Just cycle through? Any kind of latching switch, yeah?
    With the latest update the Katana 50 has two banks of two patches.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    edited October 2017
    What's the best footswitching option for the 50?

Here's the way! Once you've updated amp and tone studio to version 2. image Left switches between channel 1 and 2.
    Right switches between bank A and B.

I'm using 2 Boss FS-5L switches, slotted together, and a 1/4" Stereo to 1/4" Dual Mono Y lead.

The stereo end plugs into the back of the amp, and each mono end goes into its own footswitch. Heres the one I have: https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/klotz-ay1-0200-py1-dual-mono-to-6-3mm-stereo-jack-insert-cable

Although a cheaper one would do exactly the same.

In the supplementary manual released by Boss explaining the version 2 features, it does indicate that the polarity switch on both footswitches needs to be in a certain direction, same on both. Originally with version 1 of the amp and just a standard mono cable and 1 footswitch, I understood the polarity switch was simply used to select whether the footswitches LED lit up when the pedal was off, or on, or vice versa. So whether the polarity switch plays a role in these 2 pedals working together properly or not, I dunno.

The cheaper Bespeco footswitch doesn't have a polarity switch. I have no idea whether that would matter though. Theyre basically a FS-5L clone, can slot them together the same way etc, but they take a 9v instead, which only serves to light the led up when the footswitch is engaged. You don't need batteries to actually operate the pedal if you follow me.

The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2898
    Has anyone got any links to some decent clips of these amps yet? Still find it crazy to see so many people ditching their valve amps for these when everything I've heard from the overdriven sounds so far still sounds very lacklustre, thin and brittle! I love the idea of the Katana and would probably have one for playing at home if it had the right sounds. I guess I need to try one out to know for sure.
  • James Ryan has done quite a few Katana videos.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    Well, my Katana 100 combo arrived yesterday so I've spent about 10 hours bogged down in programming patches. 

The big revelation was the firmware update and the editing software - I honestly think that without the global EQ facility I would've sent it back, and I certainly wouldn't have bought it if I'd tried it in a shop.

I'm now getting excellent results, and it's a genuinely dynamic, natural-feeling amp, I'm very impressed. 
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited October 2017
    I've just done the v2 update to my Katana head.

One thing I've noticed is that the Ch1, Ch2, etc buttons now flash when I select them.  I'm sure they were solid lights before the update.

I know the Panel button flashes slowly when you hold it down to go to Bank B but I was sure the actual Channel lights were solid before the update.  Has Boss changed them to flashing?

Now when I am in Bank B and use the tap temp there's 3 flashing red lights at various speeds!