Live (professional!!) debut on lap steel this Saturday

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    jpfamps said:

We're a trio of steel, acoustic guitar and piano (with vocals), so hopefully on stage volume is not an issue.
    No, it's not likely to be a problem with that line-up. Have a great gig :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    Jimbro66 said:
    jpfamps said:

We're a trio of steel, acoustic guitar and piano (with vocals), so hopefully on stage volume is not an issue.
    No, it's not likely to be a problem with that line-up. Have a great gig :)
    Thanks!

I've got another one Weds too (assuming I don't get sacked).
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3215
    Bah it hasn’t got pedals it’s only half a job. ;)

Only joking, very best of luck with the gig. I dip my feet into pedal steel territory and am happy to record it but know better than to play it live (yet). You’re a braver man than I.
  • How did it go, I took a lap steel to a gig once, I had bought it that morning, band said what's that and can you play it? I said don't know yet, after first solo singer said to me off mic, that will be a no then! 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    So how did the Saturday gig go @jpfamps and is there anything you want to do differently at Wednesday's gig?
    Jimbro66 said:
    So how did the Saturday gig go @jpfamps and is there anything you want to do differently at Wednesday's gig?
    Thanks for the interest.

It was great fun!

There were a couple of ropey moments, but we went down well, and the general consensus was that the steel was in tune, which I'm pleased about.

I played quite conservatively for most of the gig (which I think is understandable in the circumstances), so for Weds I'd like to try to introduce a couple of things I'm working on. Mainly up the dusty end.

I actually had someone take a photo of my steel after the show!
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    jpfamps said:

Congrats on the gig. Fame, glory, "What's that thing called mate", you'll get it all....

On the very first of my (very few) gigs on pedal steel I was approached during set-up by the singer in one of the other bands, literally one of the most staggeringly, ethereally beautiful girls I have ever seen, who expressed wide-eyed wonderment at my battered Sho-Bud and requested to know all about it. 

I gallantly (alright, with a bit of a flutter) launched into my best attempt at Explanation Lite. She listened intently and then said "Ooh, wow, that's AMAZING! But wait, I'll just go and get my dad, he'll be FASCINATED!" and galloped away. 

Sigh. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    KKJale said:
    jpfamps said:

Congrats on the gig. Fame, glory, "What's that thing called mate", you'll get it all....

On the very first of my (very few) gigs on pedal steel I was approached during set-up by the singer in one of the other bands, literally one of the most staggeringly, ethereally beautiful girls I have ever seen, who expressed wide-eyed wonderment at my battered Sho-Bud and requested to know all about it. 

I gallantly (alright, with a bit of a flutter) launched into my best attempt at Explanation Lite. She listened intently and then said "Ooh, wow, that's AMAZING! But wait, I'll just go and get my dad, he'll be FASCINATED!" and galloped away. 

Sigh. 

That sounds par for the course.

I usually get middle aged businessmen in suits showing me photos of their guitar collection on there iPhone......

jpfamps said:

I actually had someone take a photo of my steel after the show......I usually get middle aged businessmen in suits showing me photos of their guitar collection on there iPhone......

Darned Groupies! ;)

Good to hear that it went well. Playing conservatively was a good move. I try to discipline myself to stay below twelfth fret if it's the first gig on steel for a while. Doesn't always work :D

Good luck on Weds and have fun.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    KKJale said:
    jpfamps said:

Sigh. 

We did a gig and this rather amazing looking young woman in the shortest of skirts was dancing away and approached me after the gig, asking for a phone number. Yes, my luck was in - she booked us to play for her dad's 50th birthday...

Enjoying this Discussion, I think my first memory of seeing lap steel used outside of country was by Chris Stein from Blondie doing a rework of something. A few years ago I saw Mary Chapin Carpenter and the support act did quite a lot of his act on one, just singing and using it to accompany himself. Sounded well lush. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.