Help on fixing Fretboard Binding

New member here,
about a year ago I bought a 1940's Gretsch Synchromatic Acoustic guitar at a guitar show which I love to bits, however like all acoustic guitars it wasn't in perfect condition. I noticed that the fretboard binding was a little loose so, having very little knowledge on guitar repairs, proceeded to superglue it which seems to have done the trick. However, recently it has gotten worse, much worse to the point where the binding down to the 8th fret has unglued itself and up to halfway down the 3rd fret, has come off completely. After looking at images I would really appreciate some advice on how to fix it and what to use as I want this done as soon as possible. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1213
    Isn't there an issue with old Gretsch binding material shrinking and generally rotting in some way?
    If it's worth anything, I'd be taking it to a tech rather than using the wrong glue and possibly making things worse.
  • Yeah thanks I'll probably try that
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14671
    tFB Trader
    old Gretsch Guitars have a reputation for the binding rotting and flaking and as such little you can do about it - based on the pics yours doesn't appear to be as bad as some I've seen - Try having a chat with @SteveRobinson - great guitar tech near Manchester - he is doing some work on a 345 for me and replacing the binding
  • Thanks for the help, I'll definitely seek some guitar tech (Manchester is a little far for me)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14671
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the help, I'll definitely seek some guitar tech (Manchester is a little far for me)
    appreciate that - not sure who to suggest in the NE, but Steve is excellent and with such a nice instrument make sure who ever does it is more than competent