How much is this worth? Extremely rare (only one in existence) Tanglewood.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    I wouldn't know the value of that, but I do think the fact that it is Tanglewood rather than a more impressive name is going to affect perceived value. Who would want to buy it if it were expensive?

Having said that, I think it is a thing of beauty - probably my favourite looking guitar I have seen in a long time!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the kind words :)

There's a few heavy scratches on the rear of the neck due to an old stand that had a piece of metal sticking out. I used to restore cars in my spare time years ago so paintwork isn't an issue - will wet sand and polish it back up, but other than that it's I'm absolute mint condition.

It's a shame that Tanglewood aren't a reputable brand as this is a gorgeous guitar to play.
  • steersteer Frets: 1218
    There are a reputable brand, but as pointed out already, their good reputation is at the lower / middle end of the market. 

I was surprised that they even sold acoustics with an RRP of £1.5k. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Same here. Their Sundance acoustics sell for around £800+, but the MasterDesign acoustics are twice the price.

There's a few heavy scratches on the rear of the neck due to an old stand that had a piece of metal sticking out. I used to restore cars in my spare time years ago so paintwork isn't an issue - will wet sand and polish it back up, but other than that it's I'm absolute mint condition.

It's a shame that Tanglewood aren't a reputable brand as this is a gorgeous guitar to play.
    But as you've said you not selling it so value is really irrelevant 

But as you've said you not selling it so value is really irrelevant 
    True, but I still look after my equipment. If it's got lots of scratches all over it, I'd leave them there as it's characterful. But as this is the only defect, I may as well repair it. I'll still be playing live with it, don't want to box it up.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16333
    Lovely looking guitar. IIRC Tanglewood did a series of semis with another named luthier ( who I've obviously forgotten) a bit before that so it was obviously a pattern they were trying to repeat. 
    Market value probably isn't huge and rarity doesn't necessarily equal value so I guess you have to think about replacement value. Nice problem to have. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • its a nice guitar but to be honest a one off tanglewood is unlikely  to add much value to it. the same would not apply if this was a one off fender or gibson. its snobbery of course but thats guitarists for you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just had a reply from Michael Sanden:

"Hello Geraint

I am sorry that I can not help you more than the answer you got from Tanglewood. I have not been involved with there electric guitars, only the acoustic. But it is a nice guitar so hold on to it. 

Best regards
    Michael"

Ah well. I wonder who made it.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Just had a reply from Michael Sanden:

"Hello Geraint

I am sorry that I can not help you more than the answer you got from Tanglewood. I have not been involved with there electric guitars, only the acoustic. But it is a nice guitar so hold on to it. 

Best regards
    Michael"

Ah well. Then you'll do very well to get £300 for it in today's market.  Or you could advertise it on eBay at a higher price but be prepared to wait a very long time.  But as its got scratches and damage from the stand and provenance is limited to an email, then you will be very lucky to find a collector who is seriously interested in spending significant money on it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Chalky said:

"Hello Geraint

Best regards
    Michael"

Ah well. Then you'll do very well to get £300 for it in today's market.  Or you could advertise it on eBay at a higher price but be prepared to wait a very long time.  But as its got scratches and damage from the stand and provenance is limited to an email, then you will be very lucky to find a collector who is seriously interested in spending significant money on it.

Scratches will be gone soon. But yeah, I'm not selling it anyway :) just wondered it's worth for personal knowledge really.
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Unfortunately it's a great example of the law of supply and demand.  It's worth what someone will pay for it, rarity has nothing to do with it.  Beautifully made guitar no doubt, but rarity doesn't make something worth Gibson, etc, prices, there is no such thing as "intrinsic value".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SyncSync Frets: 289
    edited October 2017
    Thanks for all the comment guys.

After a bit of research, the luthier seems to be Michael Sanden, so I've contacted him to see if it's one he recognises. I'll let you know once I get a reply.
    Keep us posted especially if he actually built them personally.

Anyway, I feel you should insure it for c£2k on that basis. 

All you need now is a recognised musician to use it for a few promos and recordings and you can start adding the 00000s. 

Does Tanglewood have any signed artists you could approach that are performing on stage not just round a campfire? 
  • ParkerParker Frets: 961
    edited October 2017
    Lovely looking guitar. I think it’s all already been said, but sadly UK made guitars don’t hold value. Look at the original Eggles and JJ’s. They’re worth a fraction of the material and craftsmanship, (unless you own a Sid Poole of course!). It’s lovely and you get pleasure from it, but with the Tanglewood association of fairly cheap eastern imported acoustics and an unknown UK builder (that will unlikely hold any credence anyway), you’ll struggle to get a decent price. Insurance value to replace though....as stated, that’s different.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Valuation aside. Lovely story and great that both tanglewood and sanden replied to you
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4984
    I have to say that my initial thought was that it was a Chinese one (it's got that over-shiny lacquer finish), but I guess the finish may be higher quality close up.

As far as insurance goes, that's a question and I think it would need to be professionally valued; an insurance company might happily take your premium and then pay market rate if you actually made a claim.

Some other thoughts:
    1. It will have cost more to make a prototype, because the per-unit price would need to include the design and tooling.
    2. They decided not to put it into production, so presumably didn't get any hint of viable orders.
    3. The fact that it is rare may not mean that it is valuable per-se.
    4. Tanglewood is not a brand people associate with high value.

My guesstimate on value, based on the story, would be maybe a monkey.
  • Chalky said:

"Hello Geraint

Best regards
    Michael"

Scratches will be gone soon. But yeah, I'm not selling it anyway :) just wondered it's worth for personal knowledge really.

But value/worth is irrelevant until you sell it