Edinburgh mooching

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Great city to be a student. Great Universities. Would be a good choice :-)

Fixed that for you...
    (I'm hoping I'm correct as I'm moving from Edinburgh to Heriot Watt in a couple of months!)
    -there's only one University in Edinburgh, daaaaahhhhhhling. ;)

Nah, Heriot Watt and Napier both produce good people too. What you aiming to study? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You're probably right- Heriot Watt is outside the bypass. 

I'm done being a student, I'm a lab manager & have just been offered a new job. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You're probably right- Heriot Watt is outside the bypass. 

I'm done being a student, I'm a lab manager & have just been offered a new job. 

Heriot Watt has great links with industry, especially having a business park within its campus
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xDottorexDottore Frets: 274
    Daughter aiming to do History of Art, which is why I'm pseudo-knowledgeable about what's in the Nat Gallery—trailed round after her asking in(s)ane questions.

You need an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea.

My feedback page: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91654/
  • Dottore said:
    Daughter aiming to do History of Art, which is why I'm pseudo-knowledgeable about what's in the Nat Gallery—trailed round after her asking in(s)ane questions.
    She might find this link of interest. It’s from the “prospects” website that’s run jointly by all uk universities careers advisory services and although primarily aimed at supporting graduates make choices post degree, aspects off it has useful information for those applying to university. The link below has information about career opportunities for graduates in history of art. The section “skills for your cv”, lists the skills gained from studying history of Art. Showing an awareness one evidence of having began acquiring some of these on her UCAS Personal Statement will enhance her application. A good personal statement is very important for Edinburgh Uni and although history of art is not one of the most competitive for entry, it is still important. She needs to show that she has researched her choice of degree and also that she gives evidence of why she would be a good student including relevant experience, relating choice of degree to subjects studied to date, examples of taking on responsibility, her skillset, evidence of independent study.  Here is the link https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/history-of-art
  • xDottorexDottore Frets: 274
    wow, thanks. Good page and some very useful tips. She actually applied last year (for deferred entry) then did so much better in A levels than expected that she scrapped last year's application and has started afresh this year. Edinburgh offered her ABB last time round so, fingers crossed, I'm hoping they will snap her up this time, especially as it's for the same entry year, Sept 2018.

As it is, we've just today completed the UCAS form and Personal Statement and sent off, but I think we got most of the good stuff in and her tutor seemed happy with it, so fingers crossed.

But thanks very much @AuldReekie, I appreciate you taking the time and effort to post.

You need an idea of what you are going to do, but it should be a vague idea.

My feedback page: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/91654/
  • Dottore said:
    wow, thanks. Good page and some very useful tips. She actually applied last year (for deferred entry) then did so much better in A levels than expected that she scrapped last year's application and has started afresh this year. Edinburgh offered her ABB last time round so, fingers crossed, I'm hoping they will snap her up this time, especially as it's for the same entry year, Sept 2018.

As it is, we've just today completed the UCAS form and Personal Statement and sent off, but I think we got most of the good stuff in and her tutor seemed happy with it, so fingers crossed.

But thanks very much @AuldReekie, I appreciate you taking the time and effort to post.

You are welcome; I work in this area so have a good knowledge of what unis are looking for