EBow?

What's Hot
AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
That time of year when my wife is asking me for ideas for Xmas presents. I suddenly have a craving for an Ebow. Obviously I know what they do, what they sound like and how they work... However, I have never actually used one or even held one in my hands. Very, very few players seem to use them so I've never had the opportunity and music shops don't seem to stock them as standard.
Who here has an Ebow? Any tips, tricks or advice or general information? Thanks in advance, guys.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I Ebow from time to time. As a stocking filler I'd say go for it, they're a bit of fun. Don't expect to use it on everything though.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11901
    I had one, very fiddly to use
    Wishbone ash used them on "Just testing" I think
    and U2 on with or without you live

http://jasobrecht.com/u2s-edge-talks-guitars-gear-techniques/

Do you occasionally use an E-Bow?
    Yes, I do, actually.
    With the Telecaster?

An E-Bow electronic bowing device.
    Yeah. I use it on the track “Unforgettable Fire” – that’s the only one I use it live. I used for another few tracks on the [new] album, which haven’t come out. They haven’t actually made the record. It’s an interesting thing. The only problem with E-Bow is it tends to make everything sound the same, so it’s really down to how you treat your sound after the guitar, whether or not you get a nice, pleasant effect, or whether you get that same sort of whining sound that everyone gets.

I eventually bought a Fernandes sustainer guitar, much easier to use, which I think is similar to this:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_Guitar
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    @simonk Thanks. I guess I've had a hankering for one since the 80s when they were extremely expensive. It's another texture, isn't it. As you say - to be used sparingly.
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    Never used an eBow, but do have a Fernandes guitar with Sustainer neck pickup (currently up for sale).  A lot of fun, if you can avoid the temptation to overdo it!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    I've owned three of them I think - they're an absolutely brilliant concept and can do some really beautiful, ethereal sounds especially when combined with effects, but they're an absolute pig to integrate into normal live playing - because you've got to pick it up, and get it onto the strings in the right place and without making awful clunking noises - I would say it's best in a two-guitar band where the other player can continue to do 'normal' stuff while you're getting ready, and probably best with a volume pedal as well. It's quite likely I didn't spend enough time to really get the hang of it though.

The Fernandes/Sustainiac systems are much easier to use, although obviously they do need to have a dedicated guitar for them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Here's Andy using one on Unforgettable Fire:

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I've got one that I've had since the late 80s (I think) - I got my dad to buy it on a trip to the US, and it came with a cassette of demos! It's great for occasional use, a good tool to have in the box, and I've used it live on one song - as @ICBM ;says, you need to have another guitarist covering though.

Takes a bit of practice to get working right, and even more if you want to switch strings during play. I only ever use with the neck pickup - bridge sounds too harsh. It also drives the string very hard, so watch the volume. On the plus side of that, because it drives the string hard, you can work with harmonics on the strings that normally wouldn't be audible - some great atonal sounds, if that's your thing.
  • I used an Ebow quite a lot in a one guitar originals band quite a few years ago...always best with lots of ambience and a volume pedal to rein it in. Also, you’ll develop muting techniques like you do with a slide. It’s very capable of killing anything in its path if you don’t keep it under control (bit like a fuzz factory in that respect).

I made mine grippier on the sides as it’s easy to drop...and thus break.

If you put it away ‘wrong’ there’ll be no battery left when you come back to it.

Great fun...great recording tool too.
  • Yep, like @markv said, works nicer on a neck pickup...which is also easier to get to and find the ‘sweet spot’ as the man on the demo cassette says ;)
    And because of the way it vibrates the string, the clean output can be very harsh sounding: lots of unpleasant harmonics in large quantities, so you pretty much have to use a very smooth high overdrive sound
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited October 2017
    nice stocking filler.  if you like more alternative or ambient guitar sounds I think you'll like it.
    AlexC said:
    I have never actually used one or even held one in my hands. 
    that's what she said / giggity ?
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    edited October 2017
    An eBow can make some interesting sounds, but there's quite a big learning curve. It's also very difficult to use in a live situation. @ICBM mentioned the time it takes to pick up, and the handling noise. It also makes the notes much louder than normal picking does, so you have to adjust the guitar controls, or use a volume pedal.

The easier place to use it is on intros, where you can get it ready, and then just put it down quickly before going into the song. 

Now that you've mentioned it I might unearth mine and use it tonight on one of our intros.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    thanks for reminding me about ebows

just found a 2014 Wishbone ash album that uses them quite a bit: Blue Horizon

I'm wondering about using one on a lap steel now.....
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I used one for years and years - after a DS1 and a Crybaby it was one of the earliest bits of "gear" I ever owned. When I stopped playing rock music I sold it and have literally never thought about one again until this thread.
    Best way to use it live is to make sure you mute all the strings with your left hand when you put the bow on the strings. Set guitar to neck pickup and slowly slide the bow towards the pickup until you swell up to the right volume. If you just plonk the bow right near the pickup straight away you'll deafen everyone and piss off your band mates. 
    maybe I need to buy one again:

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9634
    I find it easier to control with the guitar volume (and tone) backed off quite a bit. Great for recording, I used it on a couple of tracks and ended up layering two parts playing more or less the same thing but delayed a note, and ended up (quite accidentally) with a nice bit of harmony. Can also be used on bass and acoustic guitar! Lots of stuff on the web for learning impressive techniques if you put in the effort.

As a physicist/engineer type, I can't work out how the harmonic mode works. In the normal mode, electromagnetic energy is transferred to the string and it just vibrates at the fundamental frequency, which is detemined by string mass per unit length (gauge), tension, and string length (i.e. where it's fretted). So how does it excite the 2nd harmonic?
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    Presumably it combines several sine waves in the signal which it into the em coil.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364

As a physicist/engineer type, I can't work out how the harmonic mode works. In the normal mode, electromagnetic energy is transferred to the string and it just vibrates at the fundamental frequency, which is detemined by string mass per unit length (gauge), tension, and string length (i.e. where it's fretted). So how does it excite the 2nd harmonic?
    I think by using a rectifier frequency-doubler circuit like an octave fuzz, but I could be wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Love mine. Use it for usual live covers, and just for messing about noises too
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    I love my ebow - I used to use it for a solo in my old band (two guitars) and it had a breakdown before the solo to allow me to grab the ebow, turn the guitar volume and tone down, ready for a pseudo-flute solo. They can be a bit tricky but great fun when you get used to them.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.