Headstock break help

What's Hot
DominicDominic Frets: 16204
Opened a case and found the Headstock completely snapped off a 335 type semi -high end Tokai
Assume it was a string pressure thing .......very strange......had 12s on it to help with Bigsby
Who is best to go to in London/ Home counties for a really nice job ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    @FelineGuitars would be my recommendation 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72751
    Shows it was an accurate Gibson copy, at least…

:)

Sorry ;).

If it came off in the case with no impact then the piece of wood used for the neck must have been weak, even for it to happen with 12s. To fix this properly you will need to splint it - which means inlaying two pieces of new wood (some repairers use maple as it's much stronger than mahogany) through the broken area either side of the truss rod. Obviously that means it will need a refinish over that area as well.

I would also pick Feline Guitars to do it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16204
    Sure ......I realise it needs splints ,set in epoxy probably ....it had been repaired badly before by previous owner but I have had no issues in the 2 years I have had it 
    thanks for the repairer suggestion
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16816
    Ah, it already had a repair.   That changes things a bit.  Has the old break reopened, or is it in a different place?

definitely splints in that case.  I don't jump to them on first break unless it's shorter grain.  Although a mystery case break without a knock will more than likely be a short grain break.  If it had a long grain break in the case you can be fairly certain it had a knock you don't know about
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    A friend of mine snapped the neck on his acoustic and had it repaired at Camden Guitars on Chalk Farm Rd, they did a brilliant job, you can't see the break.
    Old spot -had splints -they look weedy !!!
    proggy said:
    A friend of mine snapped the neck on his acoustic and had it repaired at Camden Guitars on Chalk Farm Rd, they did a brilliant job, you can't see the break.
    Interesting ......I know the shop ....pass it most days
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    @Gspb would be my first choice, having just had my DC Jnr expertly repaired by him, 1st class repair and a gent to deal with. Just be aware he's now semi retired.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    Dominic said:
    proggy said:
    Interesting ......I know the shop ....pass it most days
    Shops tend to use a subbie repairman, make sure the current encumbent is capable and has good referrals just in case the good bloke moved on ;-)

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Just got to feline and know you've got the best job done that money can buy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom