Need to thin the herd, but too 'clingy'...so my initial thoughts

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4767
edited October 2017 in Guitar
My small den is bursting at the seams, and I need to create some space and sell some gear -  just too many guitars, amps, pedals, MFX for my needs and in such a small space.  I have no 'dogs' and I like everything I have, so I know I'll miss whatever I sell, but I've got to let go of some stuff. 

Definite guitars:
Yamaha 611VFM with brand new tweed hard case - only because my PRS Cu24 covers h/b & single-coil tones 
Washburn EA30 electro-acoustic with padded gig bag - lovely guitar, but I just don't use it.

Maybes:
Epi Sheraton II (Korean, Samick, 1989) plus hard case - simply because I just don't play it as often as my other guitars
USA Deluxe 50th Anniversary 2004 Strat - pure mint & unused, bought as a modest investment, and kept behind our sofa as no room in the den.  

Definite pedals:
Marshall Blues Breaker BB2
Marshall Jack Hammer JH1
Vox V847 wah, chrome body (battery version, but I have a nice little 'snap-on' adapter so it be also be mains powered

I already have the Guvn'r2 on my pedal board, and I rarely use wah (I have wah on my TL mfx's anyway) 

So - amps.  And this is a biggie because of size, weight & bulk. Before making a decision here I need to try out a Boss Katana 100w 1x12 with floor controller. If this is as good as everyone is saying it is, then I'd sell my Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 and possibly Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX plus cover, and VC12 floor controller (+ gig bag).  Parting with the Valvetronix/VC12 would be a massive wrench, because it's such a great amp, but I no longer need such a big, heavy, loud 2x12 amp for gigging, and it's the biggest amp I have so would release some much needed space.  

And MFX - this is another difficult one as I currently use my Vox TLSE for rehearsals and gigging. But I also have a TLLE which is smaller and lighter and if I can run a volume pedal through the insert loop for extra gigging control, then I might part with the TLSE.  If I sell the AD120VTX/VC12 then I might keep the TLSE - it's the same size as the VC12 and could occupy it's space under the raised plinths I have my amps on. 

I know this post is a bit of a flow of consciousness, but I thought it would help me if I laid out my thoughts and rationale. It's just that like so many folk here, I've made mistakes selling gear that I should have kept, and hence why I'm a bit 'clingy'. 
I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12687
    Do it.

Ive had a recent purge to clear space and to afford to revamp my pedal board. It's been quite cathartic - and now that the guitars are gone, I don't actually miss them. I have happy memories of them but don't need them in my life right now.

fwiw, I've dropped from more than 25 at the beginning of the year down to 13. I may go lower still...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12086
    impmann said:

fwiw, I've dropped from more than 25 at the beginning of the year down to 13. I may go lower still...
    Ironically, I'm trying not to buy one more because it will take me up to 13.

Maybe I need to buy TWO more...?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9762
    If it helps...

Yamaha 611 - I moved my 311 on about 18 months ago and haven't missed it one bit. Although it was a perfectly decent instrument IMHO it lacked any kind of personality or 'mojo'. 

Marshall BB2 - good call. One of most insipid drives I've owned. Although, to be fair, the clean boost wasn't at all bad. These days I very rarely use a drive pedal; I use the guitar's volume knob to control things.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I might just take the Yamaha off you, only if I can afford it after buying an amp. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I've just thinned down from 18 to 8 and it's the right thing to do :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    edited October 2017
    Sell the lot and start again ?, maybe get a better, PRS Wood Library etc 
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    You are covering a lot of the same ground with different pieces of kit here.

I would work out what my essential/favourite tones are and the minimum equipment to reasonably achieve them

And then dump the rest
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8814
    Wowsers.  Home guitarist only here but I totally get the stripping it down vibe: doing it myself, painful as it is.  The market's gonna be flooded with cool kit!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72751
    But you wouldn't be Voxman if you sold your Vox!

Don't do it - or not unless you can find a 60W one. That's half the size but otherwise basically just as good.

Sell the DSL first anyway. It's an OK amp, but not a great one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2417
    Sell the Strat, with all due respect its going to be an awful long time before you see a return on your investment there....its unlikely to be the next '54. 
    Fender collectors of the future (if they still exist then) will more than likely be buying the 04 Masterbuilt 50th '54s, which again are at the moment worth no more than they cost new with the possible exception of a John English. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Hi Rich, I have a Yamaha 611 that spends most of it's time in the gigbag. There's nothing wrong with it, I think it's a fine versatile guitar and it's nice to play. I am just drawn to some of my other guitars most of the time.

My guitars occupy our boxroom along with all the amps and recording gear. It's a tight squeeze but I haven't reached the stage where I would get rid of any of it. That's not to say I have anything special to raise a good sum of cash.

I wondered what are your thoughts on your 611?  I don't see too much similarity with the Yamaha and your PRS but maybe you're not too fussed about the P90 grit.
  • im at only three amps at the moment. the katana 100 and  laney vc30 and cub 12. i think the laneys may go as i just use the katana now, but realistically its not going to free up much space as the katana sits on top of the vc 30. its therepeutic to get rid of stuff you dont really need, and then a good excuse to get more stuff :)
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4767
    mbe said:
    Hi Rich, I have a Yamaha 611 that spends most of it's time in the gigbag. There's nothing wrong with it, I think it's a fine versatile guitar and it's nice to play. I am just drawn to some of my other guitars most of the time.

My guitars occupy our boxroom along with all the amps and recording gear. It's a tight squeeze but I haven't reached the stage where I would get rid of any of it. That's not to say I have anything special to raise a good sum of cash.

I wondered what are your thoughts on your 611?  I don't see too much similarity with the Yamaha and your PRS but maybe you're not too fussed about the P90 grit.
    Its terrific bang for buck, great quality, nice feel, good finish. The P90 is nice but being single coil it picks up noise. With the PRS Cu24, all the p/up combinations and switching are noiseless, the trem is superb, and the machine-heads make string changing really fast and easy. I do like the 611 but it doesn't give me anything different to the Cu24, and I just prefer the p/up tones/combinations on the Cu24. I have to create some room, so I've got to start letting go of some stuff and the 611 is just superfluous to my needs. The other thing is that I prefer 3-a-side tuning rather than 6 in a row - this may sound daft but for some things I bend behind the nut - and on a 6 in a line it's harder to find the right (typically G) string (eg solo to Led Zep's Heartbreaker).
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)