A Non Fussy Three Knobber Overdrive and Distortion Suggestions Thread

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
Must work well with a princeton but work with the digital/solid state amps we have in have in our rehearsal rooms. Ideally looking for something that doesn't get drowned out and lost in a band setting. Most importantly good for crunchy, gritty in your face rhythm and soaring leads.  I want to avoid a pedal with lots of options, a level, tone and drive knob will do for me, I'm just too much of a faffer. just something that does the overdrive and distortion thing well, but cuts through.

Budget is roughly £120-130 new or used, will also consider the Boss options, any opinions on the SD-1 WAZA?  

Current set up: 

TU-3
Mini Wah
RYRA Klone
Muffroom Cloud
DMM
Zvex Double Rock - I don't think this is working out for me

Previously owned pedals:

Old TS-808
Old Rat
Crowther Hotcake
Jam Rattler
Walrus MayFlower
CTC Blackface Stardust
Lovepedal HPTT 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Rothwell Hellbender. 

Hugely under-rated pedal IMV and unjustifiably overlooked when these threads come up. I dunno, maybe it’s just not American, Boutique, and/or expensive enough... :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    edited October 2017
    Surely a Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde (or the newer XO). Has all that and more. 
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I'd take a serious look at the Vick Audio Tree of Life, it's a three knob overdrive and will give you zen Drive like lower gain settings and OCD higher gain settings. It's a very good overdrive.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • Maxon OD820 pro. Ts type thing with more beef, 3 controls, awesome.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    Distortron is a more tweakable box of rock. If you like the double rock but need more flexibility, might be worth trying one out. 
  • zepp76 said:
    I'd take a serious look at the Vick Audio Tree of Life, it's a three knob overdrive and will give you zen Drive like lower gain settings and OCD higher gain settings. It's a very good overdrive.
    I like the sound of that one... plenty of gain on tap aswell!
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    OCD will do what you seek. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    If you're considering Boss - OS-2. It does have four knobs not three, the fourth is the OD/DS blend knob. It will definitely do the crunchy/gritty distortion and soaring lead overdrive sounds, and cutting through is not a problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Mesa throttle box is the best I've owned