Vox AC50 - value?

NPPNPP Frets: 236
Ok seeing that it seems to be ok to ask about value on here (I never was sure whether this was allowed):

I have an AC50 I would like to either recommission or sell on, probably the latter as it's unlikely I'll be gigging in the near future or ever again. The serial no. dates it to 1966. I bought it in Germany in the 80s and put it away in 1990 when I had to have a channel switching amp with reverb and master volume even though the Vox probably sounded better. The amp was working as it should when I put it away and has been stored in a dry spare room under a cover. In the interim I emigrated to the UK and now the amp is here with me.

I know I it's a bad idea to just switch it on so I'll take it to a tech for a service but it would be nice to have a ballpark idea on its value.   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I'ma gonna say... £750.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    Cirrus said:
    I'ma gonna say... £750.
    Yes, that's about what the last one I saw sold for - £699 I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    cheers!

That would at least make it worthwhile to get it serviced before putting up for sale. 

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Maybe worth dropping a line to Jono at the Music Locker, @jkirk170493 who is a member of the forum, they buy vintage gear and are based in Ripley Derbyshire. I'll be perfectly honest they sometimes use me to give their gear a once over, so they are often happy to purchase as is, but I wouldn't expect to get the price of a serviced, fully working amp.
    That said, AC50 is a pretty rugged beast and no frills amp, so there should be no major dramas, but valves, power supply caps, leaky coupling caps and crackly pots usually figure somewhere in the scheme of things.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    @DJH83004 - you may have come across this already, but one thing to be careful of is that it's one of the few amps which will self-oscillate with no load connected, even with no input signal. A trap for the unwary tech who is used to testing amps without bothering to hook up a load when there's usually no need… what's that funny whistling noise? It seems to be coming from… the OT!!! Switch off quick and hope you haven't blown it :).

I got away with it the first time I worked on one, but have always remembered since.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Interesting point IC, funnily enough I have a bit of a set routine on any non-working or suspect output stage when first powering up, of removing the O/P valves, checking on the valve bases for -ve bias (or integrity of cathode resistors), B+ through the screen grids, anode volts through the O/T, from the centre tap to each leg. Then before I put the valves in and finally power-up, connect a speaker load, which is a flying lead on the bench to a speaker cab underneath, so never (intentionally!) fire one up without a load connected, but it is easily done.   
    edited October 2017
    DJH83004 said:
    Maybe worth dropping a line to Jono at the Music Locker, @jkirk170493 who is a member of the forum, they buy vintage gear and are based in Ripley Derbyshire. I'll be perfectly honest they sometimes use me to give their gear a once over, so they are often happy to purchase as is, but I wouldn't expect to get the price of a serviced, fully working amp.
    That said, AC50 is a pretty rugged beast and no frills amp, so there should be no major dramas, but valves, power supply caps, leaky coupling caps and crackly pots usually figure somewhere in the scheme of things.  
    @DJH83004 ;you and @jkirk170493 ;were on my shortlist of 2 people to contact about this, didn't know you were cooperating. I'll contact either of you once I can find a free morning in my diary for a trip south (it's not far, I'm in Sheffield) 

DJH83004 said:
    ... connect a speaker load, which is a flying lead on the bench to a speaker cab underneath ...   
    the AC50 has an XLR out just to make things a little more awkward for you ;)

No problem at all NPP, I am based in North Notts, so straight forward to get to from Sheffield, just give me some advance notice to make sure I am not on a music shop pick-up / drop off run or down at Hotrox. It may well be worth speaking to Jono first as they may be happy to take it as is, which will save you some hassle. 
    Cheers Dave 
  • @NPP I'm more than happy to help!
    @NPP I'm more than happy to help!
    cheers, I'll send you a message once I've sorted out my diary