2017 PRS Custom 24 SE any good?

What's Hot
Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has tried one of these? I believe they're Korean made and are supposed to be of a pretty high standard. Has anyone played the new and older versions? Are the upgrades worth the cost (a good £300 difference between the new one and second hand from couple of years ago..) I know I'll have to go and play one just interested in people experiences with them 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4177
    I have a 2017 model. They are fantastic. Great price. Great setup. Great everything. I prefer it to my American Strat and Les Paul. Doesn't need any upgrades as far as I can tell. Totally reliable.

Get one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3348
    Most PRS SE's are good quality guitars.  The difference on the 2017's CU24's I think is the 85/15SE pickups and the script logo, neither are worth the price over a good used version, you can upgrade the pickups easily for any flavour you fancy for that kind of price.

The original SE CU24 was a flat top with a three way switch, next came the bevel cut with a three way then they did the blade switch ( which may or may not have a coil tap I cant remember).

If it where my money i'd buy used and pocket the difference or for the price of a new SE CU24 you can pick up a PRS S2 Standard 24 in satin which are my favourite PRS.

they will all play great and be well built, the differences are minimal between the years.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14471
    tFB Trader
    I've not played one yet but I've sold enough new/used PRS Guitars to know that Paul does not believe in 1/2 measures - very rare to get a bad PRS - which guitar anyone prefers is always a matter of opinion
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grayngrayn Frets: 903
    Played one of :weekend.  A really great guitar, well worth a look.

• grayngrayn Frets: 903

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4177
    The quality checkers at PRS could take one of their guitars, take a shit on the headstock, piss into the jack socket, throw the thing under a steamroller, drag it down down the sides of a granite quarry, bury it in festering goat turd for a year, and it would still be of a higher quality than a current Gibson guitar.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    I've owned an SE Custom 24 for about a year now and I am very attached to it. Superbly well made.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14605
    grungebob said:
     ... used ... upgrade the pickups 
    I have done this three times. (SE One, Soapbar and Custom Semihollow.) Probably going to do it again to host some Firebird-inspired full-sized humbuckers. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    I've got one of the 2017 exotic wood (ebony) Custom 24s, and am absolutely in love with it. Build quality is great, the satin finish maple neck is VERY nice. I see a few comments about changing the pick ups on these, but to my ear, these sound brilliant. 

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • I now have a 2013 SE CU24 (one of the pretty limited edition ones wit ha quilted maple sunburst top) and even that is fantastic. I had a go on a 2017 SE CU24 and it was fantastic, I couldn't recommend having crack on one enough.