Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pickups - too much choice, help!

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
I'm looking at changing the pickups in my LP as the bridge seems too spiky and the neck quite wooly. I've played around with heights but can't seem to dial a decent sound in. 

There's Bare Knuckle, Oil City, Mojo, Creamery, Alegree et al but I have no real reference point for any of these. 

I don't want anything super hot and I play anything from country, rock n roll and blues through to sludgy desert rock so some versatility would be good. 

Your esteemed recommendations from the above makers would be appreciated, thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    seymour 59's
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4053
    EMG mini-humbuckers?

[would certainly be unique]
  • FloofFloof Frets: 17
    My advice when starting out with pickup changes is to use one of the big mainstream brands (like Seymour Duncan or diMarzio)

That way, if you do find your choice isn't perfect, there are millions of other users out there who have experienced those pickups and who can advise what a brighter, or more mid-focussed choice might be.

iirc the Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup was designed to be clearer in the neck position in LP type guitars. It matches well with a 59 or JB in the bridge (very different sounding pickups those 2 - look them up) 

I'm also a fan of the Gibson 57 Classic in a LP (not the plus/hotter versions) and the Burtsbucker #1 or #2 (again, not the hotter 3/Pro) 
  • What's in it currently?
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    Could spikes be eq'd out? (Woolly might be more difficult.) You can then slide them spikes back in for country. 

Split the neck coil?

Sorry, that's all I've got.

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3128
    There are some great pickup suppliers mentioned above but for me, it's Tonerider Alnico Classic IV's.  Every time....
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14603
    Er, what amplification and pedals do you currently use?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    My newly completed LP kit has Oil City Forces Sweethearts, and I can't speak highly enough of them.

Definitely in the not-too-hot-and-very-articulate category. Bridge is clear and bitey without being at all harsh, and the neck is just beautiful - certainly more 'Brothers In Arms' than 'Sweet Child O' Mine'.

Very "airy" - not at all claustrophobically compressed like some hot LP humbuckers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2597
    tFB Trader
    I tried several pickups in the neck to get the clarity I was after ended up with a Alnico II pro from SD, is is a bit scooped and clear with a nice bit of compression, definitely not woolly
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4914
    These came highly recommended on the MLP forum and I ordered a set for my Les to match up with Jimmy Pages No1. Fully handmade, very quick and easy to chat too, delivery was quick and the price even better. Only downside is I haven't fitted them yet so can't give feedback, sorry! Guys on the forum were comparing them favourably to Bare Knuckles.

http://www.vineham.com/humbucker_pickups.html

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Get some pearly gates and be done with it.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3289
    Sounds to me like you are after something in the original paf territory. Good ones should be articulate and airy for want of a better set of terms -unlike most the pickups standard Gibson’s seem to ship with.  

Noticed another forumer has these Alegree’s for sale and I reckon for the price you’d be hard pressed to beat them -if they are not right someone here will no doubt take them off your hands. Also, Alex is a top bloke who I’m sure will happily advise if they are not to your taste:
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/113986/fs-pair-of-alegree-humid-tropics-nickel-covers-price-drop#latest
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited October 2017
    Before you start spending money...
    have you tried adjusting the existing pickups? I found on my LP that I didn't need new pickups I just needed to get them setup properly. The distance from the strings and pole piece heights makes a huge difference. 
    Best of all, it's free, easy and totally reversible. 

I found this helpful when I did it:
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/fine-tuning-the-adjustment-of-passive-humbuckers

Once youve eliminated this possibility THEN I'd look at forking out on new pickups (I'd chat to ASh at OilCity- he can wind you something specific to your needs). 
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    These are game changers. 

http://ox4pickups.co.uk/testimonials/

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31733
    I'm less cynical about the plethora of seemingly identical PAF choices out there now I've tried Stormy Mondays. 

I'm just going to have to bite the bullet price-wise, but at least I can then ignore the guitar from then on in my quest for great Gibson tone. 

They really are a bit special in the way they respond to how and where you hit the strings. That's the really elusive bit for me, if I'm honest most good quality PAF types sound much the same to me. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    What's in it currently?
    Unless I am mistaken they are 490R and 498T.

Floof said:
    My advice when starting out with pickup changes is to use one of the big mainstream brands (like Seymour Duncan or diMarzio)

That way, if you do find your choice isn't perfect, there are millions of other users out there who have experienced those pickups and who can advise what a brighter, or more mid-focussed choice might be.

iirc the Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup was designed to be clearer in the neck position in LP type guitars. It matches well with a 59 or JB in the bridge (very different sounding pickups those 2 - look them up) 

I'm also a fan of the Gibson 57 Classic in a LP (not the plus/hotter versions) and the Burtsbucker #1 or #2 (again, not the hotter 3/Pro) 
    I have had the JB in a few LP's in the past but that was mainly my younger self wanting something hot and gainy. My tastes are moving on slowly!

Er, what amplification and pedals do you currently use?
    Good question. Marshalls (JMP 2204 mainly and JCM2000 as a back up), pedals are below. The plain one is a Blues Breaker and it's a klon type next to it. 

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Just got some Oil City humbuckers installed in an Ibanez semi-acoustic, and they are superb. Other good ways to go I'm sure, but I can't imagine you'd go wrong talking to Ash.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11484
    rico said:
    What's in it currently?

Any decent set of PAF reproductions are likely to be an improvement on that.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10830
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    rico said:
    What's in it currently?

Amen to that!
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    edited October 2017
    crunchman said:
    rico said:
    What's in it currently?

I have 490/498 in 4 guitars - I like 'em! Each to their own....

I'd suggest secondhand Gibson 57s or Burstbucker 2/3 set, or the old SD Jazz/JB combo.  SD Alnico II if you are a Slash fan.  Always sell them on easily enough if you want to try something else.  Similarly, secondhand BKP Mules or Stormy Mondays