Help a brother out with multi FX

What's Hot
preston61preston61 Frets: 690

Morning Everyone

So I'm moving away from the classic valve amp and pedalboard setup due to not really playing that much these days and trying to save on space with an impending house move.

I don't know too much about the world of Multi FX, but here is what I would like. Some kind of Amp sim (mainly a fender style clean), straight to desk/computer output, good delay and reverb effects, along with modulations.

I know things like the Helix is out of my price range, the Atomic Amplifire looks good, but a bit limiting with the 3 switches and would be at the very top of my budget 2nd hand.

Any advice as where to look and what to look out for would be great

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27006
    A couple of questions - do you want something footswitchable or just software? Do you have an ipad?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • preston61preston61 Frets: 690
    Footswitchable please, and no ipad,but happy to plug in to the computer to adjust settings in software
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    Boss ME-80.

Does everything you need and has a simple knob-based user interface if you're coming from pedals.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9542
    Mate, stretch that wee bit further and get a used FX8 or used Helix, or new Helix LT. Well worth the jump
    Mate, stretch that wee bit further and get a used FX8 or used Helix, or new Helix LT. Well worth the jump

I'm sure sound wise they are mate, but for the kind of money they cost I'd rather keep my amp and few pedals and keep the change :-)
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Zoom G5n  I have the G3n as a backup for my Helix and while the Helix is certainly better the Zoom more than holds it's own and the price difference is huge

John_A said:
    Zoom G5n  I have the G3n as a backup for my Helix and while the Helix is certainly better the Zoom more than holds it's own and the price difference is huge

Thanks John, how do you find the amp sims on the Zoom?
  • I would say try out the Zoom G3 (second hand you can get them for £60 which is a absolute bloody bargain). The amp sims are really pretty good.  Here's a version og Highway to Hell with all the guitars coming from G3 amp sims:

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited October 2017
    For your budget I'd be looking at:

Second hand
    Zoom G5(n),  Pod HD 500x. Boss GT100. Some of the older Vox tonelab stuff still sounds decent today.

New
    Boss GT1, Mooer red truck. There's also this - although it's too new to form an opinion on yet
    https://www.gearnews.com/mooer-ge200-boss-gt-1-meets-line6-helix/

Amplifire is excellent but doesn't have USB audio (the USB connection on it is only for the editor) so you would need a separate interface = more money

preston61 said:
    John_A said:

Thanks John, how do you find the amp sims on the Zoom?
    Pretty good, maybe lacking in dynamics a bit compared to the Helix, but to be honest the only time I noticed that was once when I used it at rehearsal, just to see if it would be OK as a backup, which it certainly was.  At home it sounds great.

The g3n G5n sound better than the old G3 IMO, and the footswitching is loads better
  • I just picked up a used Pod HD500 for under £150. I've owned an ME80 before and the Pod is streets ahead. It's basically a helix but with slightly fewer options that you'll never use. Incredible piece of kit.

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I just picked up a used Pod HD500 for under £150. I've owned an ME80 before and the Pod is streets ahead. It's basically a helix but with slightly fewer options that you'll never use. Incredible piece of kit.
    It's certainly not 'basically a Helix'  but for £150 that's a lot for your money
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    So between the G5n and the HD500, what would be the advantages of one over the other? There appears to be about 50-70 quids difference on eBay
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    NU>X Cerberus maybe,,,

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I've not used the G5n ...but I can tell you that the amp sims on the Pod, together with the versatility in terms of connections and bring able to build a pedal chain up to 8 pedals long plus the output options make it a fantastic all in one. With the ME80 I found myself frustrated by only being able to choose one thing from each "box" and I found the digital sounds to be very...well, digital. 

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited October 2017
    Oh and there's a fairly hefty price difference between an HD500, and an HD500X ...for the avoidance of doubt, the differences are a slightly faster processor (which is only noticeable if you're stacking a lot of FX at a time) and some coloured lights around the foot switches. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for all the info fella
  • HD500X or Firehawk??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

HD500X or Firehawk??

What's the difference?
  • preston61 said:
    HD500X or Firehawk??

What's the difference?
    Afaik the firehawk has Bluetooth but the Pod uses USB so it's mostly about updating / changing patches.