Guitar Insurance

What's Hot
enteeentee Frets: 93
Right, I have a 'few' guitars and think it about time I got them insured; particularly my custom built GSPBasses/Vince Ray/Billy Bo.  Who can you recommend as a good stand alone policy, or do you include as named on your house contents?

Any advice gratefully received.
Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31015
    Either Allianz, or if you've vintage, Robertson Taylor Brokers.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• mrleon83mrleon83 Frets: 205
    I'd be dubious of using a Lloyds Syndicate insurer.. it's all good until you make a claim, with Allianz you'll have a chance to talk to a real person if the worse happens...
  • I'm with Allianz.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    All mine are on my home insurance.  Extra policies are generally not worth it unless you take many thousands of pounds worth of guitars anywhere.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Twinfan said:
    All mine are on my home insurance.  Extra policies are generally not worth it unless you take many thousands of pounds worth of guitars anywhere.
    ...or you're doing a paid gig in which case your home insurance is unlikely to pay as as you'd be classed as working.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I switched from Musicguard to Newmoon a few years ago and am happy to report that their cover is very reasonable, prices have risen only in line with insurance premium tax, and every time I've ever had a reason to call them I have spoken to a real, friendly and informative, named person. I have not had to make a claim but certainly would recommend the service and pricing. The cover works for me as someone who plays outside the home, in providing peace-of-mind.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Costello said:
    I switched from Musicguard to Newmoon a few years ago 
    Same here.
    Twinfan said:
    ...or you're doing a paid gig in which case your home insurance is unlikely to pay as as you'd be classed as working.

Not a clause in mine.  "Personal possessions" are covered away from the home within certain value limits.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14472
    tFB Trader
    Twinfan said:
    Twinfan said:

Not a clause in mine.  "Personal possessions" are covered away from the home within certain value limits.
    I don't gig now but I know my insurance policy is similar - ie limited value outside the house but up to that value covers exists - think £1500 - you have to look at option of if you need more or not
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 260
    Newmoon for me. Very competitive premiums, provides the cover i need and i've only ever heard good things about them. 
  • Twinfan said:
    Twinfan said:

You might need to check their definition of Personal Possessions. It probably won't include tools of the trade, which will almost certainly include instruments you're being paid to use. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Twinfan said:
    Twinfan said:

You might need to check their definition of Personal Possessions. It probably won't include tools of the trade, which will almost certainly include instruments you're being paid to use. 

Mine only excludes items "used solely for trade, professional or business purposes", and I have a £5k item limit so I'm covered.  Other policies may be different.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Newmoon. You can actually speak to a human and an intelligent one at that. 
  • enteeentee Frets: 93
    Wow - I go out for the day and there are so many replies!  Thanks everyone.  I don't really need external cover as I don't gig any more so it's cover for home use really.  My custom one is the most important for obvious reasons, so I'll detail how much it is likely to be worth to the people suggested here.  I also need to cover my vinyl collection!  Eek!!
    Vox 24, Variax 700, Epiphone Dot Studio (Cats Whiskers pups, custom inlay, custom pickguard), Gretsch 5238T (P90s/B3), Gibson Les Paul Zoot (rainbow), Gretsch 5135 PS, 'Graick' G2312TVR, BarileleBo (electric baritone ukulele G6199).
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited October 2017
    entee said:
    I also need to cover my vinyl collection!  Eek!!
    My dad used to shout at me for that too...  

Sleeves everywhere! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2095
    Can I ask how much Allianz costs on average, I mean lets say you want 10k cover?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview