Simple pedalboard for Dad with dementia

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3589
    I'm thinking Boss or similar pedals because they say on them exactly what they are and are simple plain colours to help identification. Three pedals of delay, pitch wobble and drive would be enough I suspect.
    Alternately set the multi FX unit to do just those simple things and BIG marker pen or labels although I'd still think independent units are the thing and mounted on plastic BOSS board with the power supply already there.

Using the KISS principle will be key to longer term success I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrdvmrdv Frets: 7
    ESBlonde exactly what I was thinking! I’m starting to order everything now.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and suggestions.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Just read through this thread. What a great bunch of people here. Nothing to add other than I wish your Dad all the best.
  • mrdvmrdv Frets: 7
    My thoughts exactly.

As a first time poster, I have been somewhat overwhelmed by the level of support and kindness that everyone has shown on here.

I am fully expecting that a large amount of a my free, and probably work time will be spent on The Fretboard from now on!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30924
    Welcome to the Fretboard @charliegilmour

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RogerRoger Frets: 20
    simonk said:
    What about a Carl Martin Quattro? All essential bases covered and simple as you like to use.
    Good shout - also the Mooer Red Truck or the T-Rex Soulmate?
  • RogerRoger Frets: 20
    mrdv said:
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. 

My Dad is 69 this year. He mainly plays 60s stuff like the Beatles, Kinks and Animals but also likes Clapton and SRV.

I think separate pedals might be better as like guitarfishbay suggested the different colours avoids any confusion. 

His amp has reverb which I think he leaves on most of the time. 

Thanks everyone. 

For simple:

GUITAR - KORG PITCH BLACK - BOSS BD2 - BOSS TR2 - BOSS DM2 - AMP 

• I have a behringer tube overdrive pedal. It's not the fanciest by any stretch but it works well and is easy to use. 
    I never use it. It's yours if you want it. Please drop me a pm any time and I'll gladly send it on. 
    How very rock and roll
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Others have said most of it. One thing I would add is that it probably makes sense to steer clear of Mooer size mini-pedals.  The knobs are small and fiddly.  Get some full sized pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    TS overdrive (he has reverb on the amp) some modulation so either chorus or analogue style delay.

+A heavy weight pick!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Don't touch that dial.
  • glynesglynes Frets: 131
    Does your dad still have any of his original effects pedals from 30 odd years ago?
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    @mrdv, PM (personal message) sent.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Very touching thread indeed. I wish your father's love for guitar playing keeps him active and happy!
    Good deals with: andrewaward (X2), wellsyboy (X2), AxeWieldingBastard, rainer2859, garfy, rogandroll, Gassage, HoraceB, johnhe, hyperben, JezWynd, interstellar, soma1975, pumkin, JDE (X2), JohnPerry, Varun, Springywheel
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited October 2017
    Forget 'modern' MFX - too complicated. I think a simple pedal-board like this would be perfect using a rugged, practical Boss BCB60.  No setting-up, just open the lid, plug in the mains lead & your in/out leads and you're away - and to pack away, unplug & put the lid back on. 

Holds 6 compact pedals and room for an 'oblong' Boss tuner too - enough to have plenty of choice/fun but dead easy to use. Your dad can change pedals as he fancies. Easy 'old-school' tweakability, stomp on/off.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/voxman5/ADVENT-PC/Pictures/Gear/Floor pedals/P1000034_zps162d3855.jpg

Years ago, I had one of these and even gigged with it. Really simple, real knobs, and sounded pretty decent too. Can still be picked up for around £75 or less:

Image result for boss be5

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Would a tech21 flyrig be a good option? All in one box but with proper knobs and no digital menus etc. 
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    crunchman said:
     it probably makes sense to steer clear of Mooer size mini-pedals.  The knobs are small and fiddly.  Get some full sized pedals.
    i thought the same
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw