Thomann utter pricing madness

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Hmm, odd. How else can you buy them? Or is it just by buying a crazy expensive cab?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    Hmm, odd. How else can you buy them? Or is it just by buying a crazy expensive cab?

This guy did a Mesa vs regular V30 comparison, having owned a Blackstar OS S1 Straight and a Mesa OS Straight (almost identical in construction save for the different spec'd V30s) I'd believe the differences to be accurately represented here.  He's playing through a D-Moll

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Hmm, odd. How else can you buy them? Or is it just by buying a crazy expensive cab?

This guy did a Mesa vs regular V30 comparison, having owned a Blackstar OS S1 Straight and a Mesa OS Straight (almost identical in construction save for the different spec'd V30s) I'd believe the differences to be accurately represented here.  He's playing through a D-Moll

I actually prefer the normal one!
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7961
    I find it really depends on the amp.  With my Roadster I definitely prefer the Mesa V30, which is unsurprising as it will have been voiced for that speaker specifically.  Ch4 modern just didn't sound quite right with regular V30s, the fizz was in the wrong area if that makes sense.

A Mesa rep answered some questions on another board regarding this clip, I thought his answers were interesting because I definitely think there are differences!

(Mesa rep posts in black)

Anyways, YES - Celestion continues to make the V30's for us in the UK. There are no other differences, aside from our agreement the speakers be made in the UK. Thanks!

We use the 444 cone...the part number simply represents that it was made for us.

(on his opinion re: Mesa vs Chinese V30):

We don't do any testing with the Chinese made V30's, so I honestly don't know.

(on how Mesa voice amps):

We typically use our 4x12, 2x12, and 1x12 combos where applicable, with the speakers we offer - which keeps a steady baseline of reference.

Mesa rep turns up at post 20 if you want to read the whole thread.  http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/gear-equipment/252255-v30-china-normal-vs-uk-mesa-comparison.html
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The working conditions of UK Amazon distribution warehouses are bad enough.

Based on the Panorama documentry shown last year or personal experience?
    I know someone that works there, he says it's very unpleasant, I have no reason to disbelieve him.
    @Phil_aka_Pip sorry, missed that reply totally, just stumbled on it now. 

I asked as I work closely with the warehousing industry, and I'm very familiar with a lot of warehouse operations (but not directly with Amazon). It just always seems to be amazon that are mentioned, so I'm interested to see if they really are a Dickensian Workhouse compared to other set-ups.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    OK mate. This chap he works outside doing gardening & landscaping during the summer, he only works for amazon during the winter when there is apparently less for him to do outside (not sure how that works, but as I said before I have no reason to disbelieve this chap, I've known him since 1969).

The expectations of the employer in terms of work throughput are unrealistic, and sanctions against defaulters can be punitive. The workforce don't operate as a team, they compete, and one person will nick packing materials off a colleague's work area to achieve the work rate required rather than go to the store for more because each time you go to the store you are not achieving the required workrate. Lav breaks are recorded which doesn't help if you've got the squits. By all accounts an unpleasant place to be.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    OK mate. This chap he works outside doing gardening & landscaping during the summer, he only works for amazon during the winter when there is apparently less for him to do outside (not sure how that works, but as I said before I have no reason to disbelieve this chap, I've known him since 1969).

The expectations of the employer in terms of work throughput are unrealistic, and sanctions against defaulters can be punitive. The workforce don't operate as a team, they compete, and one person will nick packing materials off a colleague's work area to achieve the work rate required rather than go to the store for more because each time you go to the store you are not achieving the required workrate. Lav breaks are recorded which doesn't help if you've got the squits. By all accounts an unpleasant place to be.
    Thanks, interesting (but certainly not unique).

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited July 2014

Sweet, nice to get a clip comparing the two head to head with the same gear. The icing on the cake would be if he played music. :D
    This chap he works outside doing gardening & landscaping during the summer, he only works for amazon during the winter when there is apparently less for him to do outside (not sure how that works,
    Stuff doesn't grow in the winter

Sorry >:D<

Obviously not conclusive proof, but I buy a fair amount of stuff from amazon, and sometimes the packaging etc. leaves a bit to be desired (including a few "WTF?" moments). I've suspected for some time that stuff like that is happening, as (to my mind, anyway) it's the only way to explain the way some of my orders have arrived, or the fact that any time I order multiple items they take longer to be shipped than when I order single things (I suspect each counts for "one order", so they pack the low hanging fruit first to achieve their rate).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Drew_fx said:

I actually prefer the normal one!
    Interesting - assuming he hasn't messed about wit the settings, that's a HUGE difference, much more than I was expecting, although in the same direction ('normal' tighter and with a higher frequency peak, Mesa looser and more hollow). Far more than you can account for even with the small differences - which do exist - between individual drivers.

I prefer the 'normal' for the fast riffy stuff and the Mesa one for the arpeggiated bit. Which is probably a good thing since I have Mesa V30s and I play much more like the arpeggiated bit than the riffy bit :).

Buy second hand cab, swap speakers, sell second hand cab. Buy my spare Trem-o-verb, swap speakers, sell Trem-o-verb keep Trem-o-verb, put original speakers back in, wonder why you need such an amp even though it does sound like God.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein