Where have all the Les Pauls gone?

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
Having some serious gas for an Goldtop R7 to sit alongside my R8 that I bought second hand a couple of years ago. Starting flicking through the the usual places, FS threads here, Gumtree, Fleabay and there are none around as far as I can see. 

While le it is doing me a favour as I can't afford one anyway right now, it struck there are sod all around in the R6/7/8/9 flavours on the sh market compared to when I was buying last time.

is it me or are people holding on to them as prices have crashed?
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14470
    tFB Trader
    I have no used R7's at the moment and whilst I don't see a shortage of other used 50's replicas or other LP's I've not had a used R7 for a while

Not sure what price floats your boat and we all know now that Gibson have made so many variations of an R7 now from Historic to Custom - shiny gloss to VOS - aged to True Historic etc etc, that it is hard to pitch a price - On that basis each guitar needs to be treated on face value - I see view now below 2K and based on current prices I think you'll be lucky to find anything below that - but patience might work in your favour so keep hunting 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    Cheers Mark. Tbh I didn't know that there were that many variants. Just have a gold top hole in my life! I was working on the basis that my R8 is a 2013 and it's a cracker so was going to (ideally) look for that kind of era.... But might be Hobson's choice!
    tFB Trader
    rsvmark said:
    Cheers Mark. Tbh I didn't know that there were that many variants. Just have a gold top hole in my life! I was working on the basis that my R8 is a 2013 and it's a cracker so was going to (ideally) look for that kind of era.... But might be Hobson's choice!
    typical of Gibson to try to make last years replica obsolescence, as this and next years are more historically correct - There may well be some valid pointers in there, but equally none are 100% correct anyway - But in many ways is that important or not regarding tonal character and playing performance ? And on that basis all you can do is try a few out and see which one grabs you in the time way you did with your Strat and your  R8 - I'm sure you will find a good R7 for around 2K to 2.5K and if needs be you can change humbuckers if needs be
  • I love my VOS 2010 R7 Goldtop. I paid 1800 for that in 2014 (used obv). 

I need an R8 to match it...
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    They collapsed under their own mass and became superdense neutron guitars
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14605
    Q: Where have all the Les Pauls gone?

A: Seven Towers. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    Dont dismiss the older Trad Gold Tops though, you find a good one and you'll be a very happy bunny indeed and its a LOT cheaper
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    sweepy said:
    Dont dismiss the older Trad Gold Tops though, you find a good one and you'll be a very happy bunny indeed and its a LOT cheaper
    Fair point, but the bar is set by my R8. It's going to be have to be a good one to get close....
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Is the CITES rosewood thing an issue or do people think they will go up in value because of it?

• Really worth checking out the Tokai premium range as well. I have an R4 equivalent goldtop that I got from Tokai Germany. In terms of weight, finish, playability and all round mojo it is easily the equal of my Gibson R0. Among P90 equipped single cuts it's one of the very best I've ever played, and that includes an original 56 GT.

if you want Gibson on the headstock I would check out the new classics.
    edited October 2017 tFB Trader
    Vaiai said:
    Is the CITES rosewood thing an issue or do people think they will go up in value because of it?

CITES is not an issue for buying and selling guitars that are already in the EU and stay in the EU, so I don't see any negatives on that score - And whilst it is a pain to get a CITES if you wanted to import a used guitar from the USA as an example it can be done - Yet with a poor exchange rate it is probably not worth it as we speak

Early days, but there is talk that CITES might not continue on used guitars - exemption been talked about and I believe Ivory is already about to be made exempt on used musical instruments, so talk and pressure within the trade might come back in our favour
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • badlydrawnbanjobadlydrawnbanjo Frets: 855
    edited October 2017
    I've just got this recently. It's not technically a Les Paul but I'm smitten,

https://i.imgur.com/GRKRbsi.jpg
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    I picked up a used R7 last month for just under £2k. 

I saw one on eBay for about £2,200 (this one actually: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gibson-Les-Paul-Gold-Top-R7-VOS-custom-Historic-2009-Pretty-mint-8-6Ilbs-/253171191905?hash=item3af22dd061:g:29QAAOSwYbhZxwNm) but yeah, they were pretty thin on the ground!
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    I've just got this recently. It's not technically a Les Paul but I'm smitten,

Woah, that is cool - may I ask what it is?
  • I've just got this recently. It's not technically a Les Paul but I'm smitten,

Woah, that is cool - may I ask what it is?
    It's an LP-295. It's basically hybrid of a Les Paul and an ES-295. During 2008 Gibson did a limited run of 1000 guitars every month. This was April's. Some of the models were just plain odd but I lusted after this one at the time and managed to get my hands on one a couple of weeks ago. Richard Hawley has played extensively for quite a few years too. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1061
    I have an R7 and it's amazing... but how are you fixed for P90s?

R6's are fantastic too. If you like p90s and have an r8 already perhaps that could be more fuel for the GAS

Or an R4 if you are sick and want a wraparound bridge lol
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    An aged '54 gold top would be nice. I love the simplicity. Closer to a Tele.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3302
    tFB Trader
    54 goldtop is my favourite unless it's got a bigsby then it's a 56
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)