King of Tone mass exodus?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4844
    The new Tim pedal from Paul C will be along soon which should give it some competition, the Timmy pedal is amazing and I can't wait to purchase a Tim. That being said I am on the KOT list and my spot will be coming up in the next 6 weeks or so. Can't decide what I'm going to do about it as yet but I'm thinking about it!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was underwhelmed by the one I picked up used and punted it on straight away.
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    Could it be the case Analogman are getting these out the door quicker than they were before? There’s always been 1 or 2 available used at any one time, but the turnaround between this forum and eBay is quite something at the moment. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    How many of these are out there?  I've found an advert from Dec 2016 for someone selling serial number 7258.  I don't know if that was new at the time or not.

Even if that was brand new at the time, there must already be more of these out there than Klons (around 8000 Klons were made).  I don't see them ever getting to Klon kind of silliness with prices.

I suspect that they are producing more now than they used to.  This is from the horse's mouth on the Analogman website.  "But in 2017 we are FINALLY getting the list shorter, as we have more well-trained people here putting them together. "

http://www.analogman.com/kotdelay.htm

If the waiting list is getting shorter then I would think that prices will peak soon, if they haven't already.  If they genuinely start to get on top of demand, then I'd expect a slow but steady decline in prices over the next few years as the list gets shorter.

The other question is what the effect of things like this will be:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/MODEL-KOB/overdrive-pedals/tone-city-king-of-blues-overdrive-pedal

Will it increase or decrease demand for the real thing?
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    crunchman said:
    ......The other question is what the effect of things like this will be:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/MODEL-KOB/overdrive-pedals/tone-city-king-of-blues-overdrive-pedal

Will it increase or decrease demand for the real thing?
    Would be interesting to hear some comparisons/opinions on the clones. There's nothing expensive or rare inside the KOT which means a cheap clone cannot be made.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I've had my KOT for about 3 months now.. It's no the Holly Grail, but it is a fantastic founded go anywhere pedal. Like others have said, it can be cloned, copied, duplicated for a lot less, but there is something about having an original. (Plus you know it will hold its resale value).I use it into an AC30 along with a few other drives and more and more I'm finding it's the KOT I'm using rather than the others.My only regret is that I got the standard and would have prefered the High gain on one side (Bought it used so didn't really have the option). 

Does anyone know if it's possible to convert one side to high gain?

• KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    @Si_ Analogman can convert it for you. Certainly not ideal to get it to the States and back but might be worth it to you. 
  • darcymdarcym Frets: 1297
    I've got a standard no-high-gain mode version and it's fantastic, I don't use it every day or for every situation, but I ordered one, waited, paid, was not disappointed, it exceeded my expectation and use case. I'm toying with getting a second one as a spare (no rush for the waiting list then) as people say they can clone them (and I'm sure they can) but I don't know why, component quality/workmanship/whatever they never sound as good (hence why I've never actually bought the clones). People bring them to me and I back to back them with the original and they are never as good.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I too have the standard. I think that's what it's best at.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7778
    I found it a bit bland and fizzy, would rather use a timmy for a similar job. I'm far more into organic drives; my boards have a blackstone mosfet, buffalo td-x & Nobels ODR-1 if it's illustrative at all. 
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    So let me get this straight. A pedal is selling for approx £150 more than the combined purchase and import cost..... And selling in a matter of minutes? I am not so sure the bubble has burst as yet. While there might a steadier or more regular supply on sh items, as posted above, the premium they can and do command might be sufficient to get owners to move them on. 

If if the bubble had burst I would expect to see a collapse in values and larger numbers for sale that no one wants to buy?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9572
    rsvmark said:
    So let me get this straight. A pedal is selling for approx £150 more than the combined purchase and import cost..... And selling in a matter of minutes? I am not so sure the bubble has burst as yet. While there might a steadier or more regular supply on sh items, as posted above, the premium they can and do command might be sufficient to get owners to move them on. 

If if the bubble had burst I would expect to see a collapse in values and larger numbers for sale that no one wants to buy?
    Bang on Mark, and good post
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    rsvmark said:

Is that the reason why some people buy them then i.e. to buy and flip for profit?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30929
    rsvmark said:

Typical QS. All about ROI.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11459
    rsvmark said:

Is that the reason why some people buy them then i.e. to buy and flip for profit?
    I suspect that if you get on the waiting list now, that by the time you get it, the waiting list will be shorter and people will be less likely to pay a premium.

That might not be the case, but it's a risk you take.
    edited October 2017
    Why do people flip them? Probably a combination of reasons:

The Usain Bolt flipper- buys one and flips for a quick £150 profit. 
    The magpie flipper- had one for a while, grown used to it, and gassing for a new (insert new shiny pedal name here)
    The French flipper- with a Gallic shrug, the pedal isn't up to expectations and hype so they move it on
    The techno flipper- flogging everything they own for a kemper or helix

Gassage said:
    rsvmark said:

Typical QS. All about ROI.
    QS? Good lord @gassage, no no no dear boy!