New Old Amp Day - advice needed

What's Hot
richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
edited October 2017 in Amps
As part of reliving my youth, I’ve just bought a near mint Musicman RD50 112 from the early 80s.

It’s been fitted with a Celestion G12T-100 - which is far too mid-heavy for a Fender-derived amp. Plugging it into the Mesa C90 in my LSS, it sounds much more open - without being too mid-scooped.

I’d be very happy to replace the Celestion with a C90 - but wonder what other options might work? As I may want to gig it, I’d prefer something that’s efficient - but don’t want to deal with EVM12 type weight.

All suggestions welcome!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72497
    edited October 2017
    A G12T-75 is much more scooped and open-sounding than the 100 without being as heavy as the C90. Not as efficient as the C90 but plenty for gigging.

The original speaker would have been an Eminence of some sort I think, if that matters. I don't know which modern speaker they do is closest but I would go for something from their 'Patriot' range (American voiced) rather than 'Redcoat' (British voiced).

If you want something a bit more unusual, try a Jensen Tornado - it's a lightweight neodymium speaker which sounds pretty sweet - camf has one in his Princeton Reverb. 98.5dB sensitivity so slightly more efficient (on paper anyway!) than the G12T.

(Edit) They now appear to do two models - the original Classic 100 (and the Stealth 100 which seems to be the same thing but fitted with a magnet cover) and the Stealth 80. The 80 sounds smoother and chunkier but possibly a touch muddy by comparison with the 100. There's also the Stealth 65 but that isn't enough for a 50W amp really, Jensen ratings aren't as conservative as Celestion's.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    Thanks @ICBM. What are you thoughts on Jenson alnicos? The seem relatively cheap - are they excessively bright/scooped?
    Thanks @ICBM. What are you thoughts on Jenson alnicos? The seem relatively cheap - are they excessively bright/scooped?
    I would say so, yes - a very nice vintage-Fender-type sparkle with clean sounds, but can be quite loose and flappy in the low end and spiky and harsh at the top with distortion - especially out of the box, they do break in a lot compared to some other speakers. I like them for swampy overdriven sounds, but then again I like Neil Young… :)

Knowing the voicing of the MusicMan I would go for something a bit tighter-sounding and smoother at the top end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I would say so, yes - a very nice vintage-Fender-type sparkle with clean sounds, but can be quite loose and flappy in the low end and spiky and harsh at the top with distortion - especially out of the box, they do break in a lot compared to some other speakers. I like them for swampy overdriven sounds, but then again I like Neil Young… :)

Knowing the voicing of the MusicMan I would go for something a bit tighter-sounding and smoother at the top end.
    That was my concern - I may well order a Tornado based on that. I assume if it sounds good with a Princeton we at least know it works well in a small enclosure.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4723
    edited October 2017

Try a Cannabis Rex.  They are great speakers for Fender cleans and handle drive well too.  Definitely tight and smooth.  Longish break in though.

EDIT:- I had one in a Rivera Clubster 25 Doce, not a million miles away from your Musicman

Try a Cannabis Rex.

Not high enough power rating for a 50W amp - only a 50W speaker, and Eminence ratings are also not as conservative as Celestion's.

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I've got a Jensen neo Tornado which I've used in various applications and it's a brilliant speaker and extremely light. Not to be confused with the older neo 12/100 which sounds quite different.

http://www.hotroxuk.com/jensen-jet-tornado-8oms-neo-100-speaker.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    simonk said:
    I've got a Jensen neo Tornado which I've used in various applications and it's a brilliant speaker and extremely light. Not to be confused with the older neo 12/100 which sounds quite different.
    The first-generation Neos sound horrible - the original Celestion Century was really shrill and harsh too - but they're getting it right now. The Century Vintage wasn't too bad, but the new Creamback Neo sounds great by all accounts (I haven't heard one personally) and the Tornado definitely does.

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:
    simonk said:
    The first-generation Neos sound horrible - the original Celestion Century was really shrill and harsh too - but they're getting it right now. The Century Vintage wasn't too bad, but the new Creamback Neo sounds great by all accounts (I haven't heard one personally) and the Tornado definitely does.

The Neo Creamback sounds great.

The Celestion Redback is excellent as well if you want a high powered speaker.

The problem with the early Neo speakers is that you get a much higher flux density in the voice coil cf ceramic and alnico speakers if you mag them up to the maximum.

Higher flux density increases efficiency but shift the frequency response upwards hence the harshness.

Manufacturers now under mag up neo speakers to avoid this; efficiency goes down (you'll that current production Celestion speakers are less efficient that the initial production), but tone improves.
  • dcgdcg Frets: 231
    Scumback Scumnico, or Celestion Cream alnico; the best two speakers on the planet in my immodest opinion.  Reassuringly expensive, but worth every cent.  Also...check out the Eminence Hempdog; might just be my next purchase.
    Thanks for everyone’s suggestions. I went with the Jensen Tornado.

Rare I’m soldering before 9.00am but today I was. Early signs are that it fits the bill perfectly - once the neighbours go out I shall investigate further....

Had @ICBM not mentioned these, I wouldn’t have even considered one - I was looking exclusively at ‘vintage’-style speakers. Very grateful for the recommendation. :)