Info on 70s Epiphone Wilshire (Crestwood?) please

What's Hot
StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1474
edited October 2017 in Guitar
https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-instrument/1976-japanese-epiphone-wilshire/1269820836

A friend of mine is considering buying this and has asked my advice, but I know nothing about them. A quick Wiki suggests it can't be a 1976 model- any ideas or thoughts on this listing?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6121
    This might help

• StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2429
    That's way overpriced for a Japanese Epiphone. Not sure why he thinks it's particularly rare, or a Japan-only model. Didn't Epiphone just move production to Japan in the late 60s to cut costs?

I have an ET-270 from a similar era. It's a fun guitar (albeit an original model rather than a recreation of one of the earler US designs) but not especially well made or desirable. I'd be pretty happy to get £350 for it I should think, and I can't see why the Wilshire would be any more valuable.

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    And fugly...... Don't forget fugly! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4677
    the only look good with the batwing headstock IMHO 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    At least it's not one of the really shitty ones with a bolt-on neck.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033

Re. MIJ set-neck Epi - In my experience, a more realistic price would be somewhere between £275-£375 (but it would need to be pretty damn exceptional at the upper end). £300 would be about right. If I spotted one in decent nick and playing well, I'd buy it at that money.

Caveat - a chunk of MIJ Epi models were multi-badged bolt-on neck cheap shite and worth nowhere near the "Lawsuit"/"Mojo" bullshit OTT pricing some sellers attempt to get away with (I can think of a few candidates in particular).

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks guys, he's decided to pass for now-obvious reasons!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14605
    And fugly...... Don't forget fugly! 
    And the neck position pickup is too close to the bridge. ;)

A friend of mine is considering buying this - any ideas or thoughts on this listing?
    It might be worth contacting the vendor to express an interest BUT only at a realistic market price. (If the vendor can find somebody dumb enough to pay seven hundred quid, good luck to him.) There is no need to suggest a figure at this stage. Let the vendor stew in his own avarice for a while. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I think the Wilshere is one of the coolest guitars ever but that one is seriously overpriced.