Another Clearout Thread...

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12086
Hi All,

Planning to clear out two or three guitars, looking for suggestions, info, and whether you feel it
is better to try and sell on here (or elsewhere), or to trade in against something flashier...

I own one acoustic, an old Crafter that does acoustic stuff, and 11 electrics (too many)

As follows: -

Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded 2016 - a keeper until I buy a better Gibson

ESP LTD 401 - A keeper, only just bought it, if you happen to have a guitar with EMGs and a Katana, try the brown channel - just play anything and it sounds epic

Squier Classic Vibe Tele - Keeper.

Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro - Keeper, I like it, it's actually pretty comparable to the Gibbon.

Indie Union Jack Les Paul - Torn, its a bit too heavy but its actually a great guitar and rather unique.

Indie Super T Telecaster - Again torn, very nicely made guitar with nice feeling neck, but I never play it.

Fender 2003 Mexican Strat - To go, I just don't like it, never play it, don't like maple fret boards.

Epiphone SG 2002 (an "Unsung" one) - Recently refurbed and polished and much improved but I don't love it, feels about a foot too long.  Probably to go.

Squier Bullet Strat - recently set-up nicely and very light, probably worth keeping as a guitar I don't care if I bash around.

Epiphone Dot - I love Oasis, I should have a semi, but doesn't get played much... torn.

PRS SE Soapbar Singlecut - This is a good guitar, I don't play it much but I bought it off my brother and I keep it for him in case he gets back into playing.  I've promised I'll sell it back to him at the same price if he goes back to playing.

Thoughts? Opinions? (Please refrain from "sell everything buy a custom shop as any guitar under 2k sucks...")

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Keep the studio , Keep the mex strat, and then sell everything else.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4677
    keep the ESP , Keep the Classic vibe, sell the rest get one great guitar

i have a CV Tele and i love it, i have an ESP EC-1000 and its bloody great, my Gibson is for sale and possibly my CV Strat and i plan to get one great strat and just have 3 guitars. 
  • The best prices for selling are on eBay when they do a £1 or similar fixed fees offer.

The lowest risk place to sell is here, but the prices are typically lower.

Personally I'd sell everything you've not listed as a keeper.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4974
    Keep the Gibbo and the ESP; ditch the rest.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27337
    prowla said:
    Keep the Gibbo and the ESP; ditch the rest.
    This and maybe keep the PRS if you think your brother might want it back. 

And with the funds raised I'd personally swap the Les Paul for a nicer one.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12086
    Thanks All,

I was however after a bit more context.  I know which guitars I do or don't play, but there does seem to be an odd and very variable standard on quality in terms of what people reply.  For example, apart from lacking the frills of the pricier models, why would you trade in a studio faded for a Classic or Standard?

I guess I'm after more meat and potatoes in terms of the relative benefits of different guitars.  I can easily store 10 and have no intention of selling them all, I simply don't have time and I'm quite fond of quite a lot of them.

So given what I've chosen to buy over time, and my tastes (indie and alt rock, principally) what is useful to me, what isn't, what do I need?

Thanks!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14605
    edited October 2017
    IMO, you owe it to yourself to have a P90-equiped guitar.

Transform the PRS SE Soapbar by squandering some of the proceeds of selling things like the MIM Stratocaster on a pair of professional quality P90s, better pots and tuners. It will become as enjoyable as the LTD EC-401.

If you don't fancy actual P90s, steal these ideas.
    http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/humbucker-under-p90-soapbar/
    http://customshop.seymourduncan.com/strat-under-p90-soapbar/
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • DaevidJDaevidJ Frets: 414
    I would look to keep three guitars.. one with buckers, one with single coils and the PRS as it has a question over it's head but also a different flavour of single coil. That way you still have variety to play with but have trimmed down to hopefully create a certain sense of domestic harmony (referencing your previous post). You can always expand or upgrade later if you save some of the money gained in a pot for future gas...
  • I was however after a bit more context.  I know which guitars I do or don't play, but there does seem to be an odd and very variable standard on quality in terms of what people reply.  For example, apart from lacking the frills of the pricier models, why would you trade in a studio faded for a Classic or Standard?

I would only trade an instrument I have for another similar instrument if the new one was better than my old one.

Just because it's a higher range model doesn't really mean anything.  The specific instrument you go to has to be a better one, or better at the precise aspects you want.  With Les Pauls it might be you want a lighter one, or a different neck carve.  Pickups are and other hardware are generally easily changed.

If you're not careful it can end up being a sidestep where all you gain is a prettier appearance or a cooler model number to get you a few frets when you post your NGD thread, and you could end up wanting your old guitar back
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14605
    edited October 2017
    The following list is intended as a starting point. Argue it out with your wallet. :)

KEEP
    • ESP LTD 401
    • Squier Classic Vibe Tele
    • PRS SE Soapbar Singlecut 

CHOOSE ONE
    • Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded 2016 - a keeper until I buy a better Gibson
    • Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro - Keeper, I like it, it's actually pretty comparable to the Gibson.
    • Epiphone SG 2002 (an "Unsung" one)

SELL
    • Indie Union Jack Les Paul
    • Indie Super T Telecaster 
    • Fender 2003 Mexican Strat
    • Squier Bullet Strat 
    • Epiphone Dot 

BUY

• a Stratocaster - you like the Squier Classic Vibe series. Try one. 
    • a semi-hollow - the PRS SE, perhaps?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12086
    Thanks guys these last few posts are really helping my thoughts. :)