Anyone sell 6/7 guitars to get the one they wanted?

What's Hot
mark123mark123 Frets: 1327
Were you happy with the outcome??looking at a white lp custom i would have to sell some keepers that id thought id never sell ..buying before selling isnt an option so its   s  hit or bust ! Anyone regretted it or over the moon they done it ?
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think it depends on why you have a guitar collection and how much you want (neeed?) the lp. Have you played it and thus love it, or are you in lust with its good looks and the idea of a headstock with Gibson written on it? Do you keep a variety of other guitars because they sound and behave differently and you have a use for them, or are they things that you liked at the time when you collected them but not having them would pose no real musical or operational problems?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5814
    I did. Well 5 guitars and an amp. 

All the guitars I sold played really nicely, at least as well and in a few cases better than the CS model I bought. None sound even close though and while the labels or CS part doesn’t mean anything to me the sound this thing produces is just simply better than anything else I’ve ever played, let alone owned. 

So in short, as long as you’re completely sure you really love this guitar, go for it. I’d known the one I bought for years so knew in real detail what I was getting into. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    One truly great guitar is better than 5 or 6 mediocre ones. I'm not saying that yours are mediocre but that's the way I have always viewed gear, regardless of sentimental attachment. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8811
    Not quite 6 or 7 but I had to shift three to get my (latest) 'dream' - to raise enough to purchase my B&G Little Sister (pictured) I had to shift my 1970 Telecaster that I once believed to be my guitar soul twin, a 1977 Mustang and a strat.

Regrets?  No way!  It's like getting out of a relationship that lost its way for the next alluring model :grin: But then I'm a faithless tart where my guitars are concerned.

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What about a 0% card and buy via distance sellers.

That way if you don’t like it, send it straight back. If you do then you’ve got time to sell off your other instruments to pay the bill.

If you buy S/H via eBay and 0% you should be able to re-sell without much loss. Then you can trial side by side to see which is worth keeping.

I wouldn’t sell ahead. So either save up (Best) or if you’re sensible use 0%
  • FWIW I’ve done it a few times with no regrets, but I always bought before selling. I don’t think I’d sell first it’s too risky you might not prefer the new instrument
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14591
    In a roundabout way, yes.

Over the years, I have sold numerous items, allowed the proceeds to accrue, then, spent the lot on one expensive item when the opportunity arose.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6758
    JerkMoans said:

Dibs! 
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 977
    JerkMoans said:
    Not quite 6 or 7 but I had to shift three to get my (latest) 'dream' - to raise enough to purchase my B&G Little Sister (pictured) I had to shift my 1970 Telecaster that I once believed to be my guitar soul twin, a 1977 Mustang and a strat.

Regrets?  No way!  It's like getting out of a relationship that lost its way for the next alluring model :grin: But then I'm a faithless tart where my guitars are concerned.

swap for a tonemaster... ;)

• “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I've sold all my expensive guitars, kept the cheapest two and the money. Couldn't be happier!  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5074
    edited October 2017
    I sold three guitars to buy my first R9. I was able to buy the R9 first to make sure I liked it, but no regrets at all, the R9 is way better than the three I sold, in my opinion. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1327
    Fuengi said:
    I've sold all my expensive guitars, kept the cheapest two and the money. Couldn't be happier!  
    it was all going well,my mind was made up...then this comment ha !
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3779
    edited October 2017
    I traded 2 x Ibanez (RG721, LGB30), a Duesenberg D-Caster, Les Paul Standard 2007, Danelectro DC59 and a Strat Plus. Walked away with a £4.5k PRS, which I admit was priced as such only because it is a 'wood library' model, and I have ZERO regrets. It's the most fun to play and look at of all the guitars I've owned in 25 years or so.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/110559/new-guitar-day-prs-content-im-not-a-dentist/p1

https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GFELEKj.jpg
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72694
    No, but I wish I had.

Because I would now own a 1956 Les Paul Custom, which remains the best electric guitar I've ever played. But I backed out of the deal because I foolishly thought I needed 'versatility'. Actually I sound more or less the same with anything.

Do it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3279
    Done it twice now and tbh it was liberating. It’s very easy to get stuck in a rut and different guitars take us to different places as players.

Was the ‘big’ guitar I bought  ‘the one’? No. Am I glad I had it for a while? Yeah. Do I regret selling it? Not for a second.

I must confess, I found I have more fun with two beaten up old bruisers that just do it for me and are worth a fraction of the cost -but it was a valuable journey to go on.
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    Just a word of warning once you've gone through with it you'd have set a new level of expectation for any other guitar to enter your collection.  All it ends up meaning is your collection eventually grows back again but at a heftier price tag.

I did what you have planned a while ago when I sold off a load of guitars and gear to pick up my 56 Junior.  Not one single regret in doing so!  It did however start even more selling off of other high end guitars, amps and pedals I had to then go searching for other guitars worthy of the new standard set.  

I'll just leave this here as a reminder of what your future self is getting themself in to  ;)

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Yep. Done it twice. 
    Amps and guitars.

A lot of nice guitars turned into a couple of new PRS private stocks. 

Yep, they then lost 1/2 their value after I walked out of the shop with them but I don’t care. They represent my guitar journey pinnacle. Of course after you do the part ex, and get the one you want it doesn’t stop you from building up the collection and doing it all over again!

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    It's definitely the way to go. You have many guitars but know you need something better.

Quality > Quantity.
  • andy1839 said:
    Yep. Done it twice. 
    Amps and guitars.

A lot of nice guitars turned into a couple of new PRS private stocks. 

Yep, they then lost 1/2 their value after I walked out of the shop with them but I don’t care. They represent my guitar journey pinnacle. Of course after you do the part ex, and get the one you want it doesn’t stop you from building up the collection and doing it all over again!

I jest not when I say that @andy1839 is my inspiration :)
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1327
    Thanks to all ive made my decision ...