Tokai Chinese, any good?

What's Hot
markjmarkj Frets: 915
Was  wondering are the current  Chinese Tokais any good. I'm quite interested in a Goldtop les paul tokai, I would over a period of time upgrade  pickups, etc. I have a good collection of quality guitars, Gibson, Prs, Fender. But I'm after a Goldtop on the cheap. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24852
    Not played the LP style ones but I have played a Strat type. I should qualify what I’m about to say by stating that my experience is limited to that one guitar - but it wasn’t good.

Fret finishing was poor (not properly polished) and sharp ends sticking out of the side of the fingerboard. Finishing wasn’t great either.

Compared to various Squiers I’ve played at similar money, it was very disappointing.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    edited October 2017
    If you are paying £460 ish UK retail for the Chinese Tokai then you can cut out the middle man and get the same guitar (sans Tokai decals) off AliEx for £260. Much of this stuff is made by only 3 or 4 factories and dished about...

TIP: All the Chinese Goldtops feature sparkle gold paint whereas Gibson is more satin gold...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Tokai ES-60 (it's dad was a 335) is OK - sounds good, plays nicely etc but recently I've had trouble getting it to play in tune so had compensated top nut installed with a Gotoh bridge to allow more saddle adjustment for the G string.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    If you can get an older Korean model you'll be laughing. In think Vintage beat Tokai at the £300 price point 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    The new Chinese Burnys are much much better than the Chinese Tokais.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    If you are spending that sort of money, why not find a s/h Gibson LP Tribute ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    edited October 2017
    If you like a beefy neck and fancy P90s then the Epiphone 56 PRO Standard is hard to beat for a Goldtop on the cheap.