Fixing guitar strap button

What's Hot
danodano Frets: 1594
The screw which holds the strap button into my tele has slid out and can't be screwed back in.

Any recommendations for the best way to fix it back in ? Superglue, wood glue etc ?.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14300
    tFB Trader
    cocktail stick and wood glue - clean out any debris first if you can - dip the cocktail stick into the glue, don't be shy on any excess - subject to size of the hole will determine if you need one or two stems - break of excess - now screw it in before glue is dry so it pushes glue/stick to the outside to bond with guitar body - then leave well alone for a couple of hours - wipe up any residue of glue
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    I got a used jazzmaster for my daughter with a MASSIVE screw half holding the strap button. Removed it to find a cavernous hole. Stuck wood filler in, left it to dry, gently sanded excess away, drilled narrow pilot hole and replaced strap button, which hid the work nicely. 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    I done the cocktail stick fix described above the other week and has held perfectly since. 
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    I match stick works just as well, if you don't have lardy-da cocktail sticks around ;)
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72425
    cocktail stick and wood glue - clean out any debris first if you can - dip the cocktail stick into the glue, don't be shy on any excess - subject to size of the hole will determine if you need one or two stems - break of excess - now screw it in before glue is dry so it pushes glue/stick to the outside to bond with guitar body - then leave well alone for a couple of hours - wipe up any residue of glue
    This.

Don't drill it out and dowel, or wait for the glue to dry before putting the screw in - neither of these is as as strong as what looks like the 'quick bodge' method, until you realise why the 'quick bodge' is actually the best. By putting the screw back in with the glue wet, you compress the glue and wood fibres around the remains of the old stripped thread and create a very strong bond.

I would even use three bits of stick if they will go in - don't worry about leaving enough room for the screw, it will compress the new wood anyway even if the hole is totally full.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4187
    Wooded kebab sticks work nicely too, don’t use matchsticks as they are far too soft 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2017
    sweepy said:
    Wooded kebab sticks work nicely too, don’t use matchsticks as they are far too soft 
    They're OK if the hole is not too badly stripped and you really pack them tightly. They're actually best for pickguard screws on softer wood bodies, usually just one is all you need since the hole is small and the force on the screw isn't huge.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14300
    tFB Trader
    JerkMoans said:
    I got a used jazzmaster for my daughter with a MASSIVE screw half holding the strap button. Removed it to find a cavernous hole. Stuck wood filler in, left it to dry, gently sanded excess away, drilled narrow pilot hole and replaced strap button, which hid the work nicely. 
    the negative with the filler is that as time goes on it can shrink, crack and become loose so keep an eye on it
    JerkMoans said:
    the negative with the filler is that as time goes on it can shrink, crack and become loose so keep an eye on it
    In this case drilling out and dowelling would be the right way, but even then you want to drill the pilot hole a little on the small side and put the screw back in before the glue between the dowel and the guitar body dries, so the dowel is expanded by the screw and compresses the glue joint as it sets.

• danodano Frets: 1594
    Thanks for the advice, going to repair it tomorrow morning. I'll report back.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    sweepy said:
    Remember to eat the kebab off the stick first!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 460
    This is exactly the reason why I have cocktail sticks in the house. I have no idea what you do with them for an actual cocktail.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7038
    edited October 2017 tFB Trader
    markv said:
    This is exactly the reason why I have cocktail sticks in the house. I have no idea what you do with them for an actual cocktail.
    In case you ever find yourself in the 1970s:

As far as actual cocktails go I imagine they are for holding the olive in your martini?
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Or the maraschino cherry in your pint of Guinness.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    markv said:

As far as actual cocktails go I imagine they are for holding the olive in your martini?
    thanks for that.... for some strange reason I feel the need to send one of the offspring for a pineapple whilst I finish fixing the floor outside their bedrooms :)
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    markv said:

Hedgehogs!

As a kid I loved a good hedgehog at any family gathering.