Strat wiring - second wire from 5 way switch to the wiper lug of the volume pot

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
Gents,

It's NGD for me - been lusting after a Custom Shop 56 Start with a roasted maple neck for some time and pulled the trigger on it today.

It has 'postmodern 50ies wiring to retain more treble' - whatever the F*ck that means?

At home, I'm loosing too much treble when I roll past 7 on the volume and I'm looking at putting a treble bleed (220k / 650pf from memory) on across the volume pot to retain some more treble, as I've done with Strat types before

Looking at the volume pot, there's the standard wire from the 5 way going into lug 1 and lug 2 goes to the jack, but also a wire coming from the 1st terminal on the 4 terminal side of the switch which is going direct to the wiper lug of the volume pot

What is this? 

Any issues with me putting the above treble bleed across the 2 volume terminals?
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Any chance of a picture?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72737
    Sounds like it has "50s" (Gibson) wiring applied to a Strat - ie the tone controls on the jack side of the volume pot rather than the pickup side. This is fashionable but really won't do anything useful on a Strat.

To properly retain treble you need a treble *pass* circuit. There are a range of values which work depending on personal taste/cable  length etc, but between 180pF and 1000pF for the cap and between 150K and 470K for the resistor are about the outer ends.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Thanks Gents,

I’ve stalled the treble bleed (the 150k / 680pF is the Suhr treble bleed, which has always worked perfectly for me)

I’m currently at the vets (..no really) so will test when I get back and report back to base ..will take pics if I need to open it up again

Baz
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11644
    tFB Trader
    Yup to 50s wiring which I have found will help to a degree but not as dramatic as a treble bleed kit

http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Capacitors_and_Resistors/Golden_Age_Treble_Bleed_Circuit.html

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Thanks @FelineGuitars ;

A dramatic difference with the treble bleed in place - much more usable and some classic Strat tones in there, but probably a tad too bright now below 7 on the volume - a bigger cap might be in order?

Jonathan - any recommendation on capacitor brand?  ;)

Would the combination of 50ies wiring and the treble bleed be accentuating the treble bypass?

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14599
    SunDevil said:
    I’m currently at the vet
    Check yer bag before you leave. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    SunDevil said:

A dramatic difference with the treble bleed in place - much more usable and some classic Strat tones in there, but probably a tad too bright now below 7 on the volume - a bigger cap might be in order?
    No, a smaller cap or a smaller resistor.

SunDevil said:

Would the combination of 50ies wiring and the treble bleed be accentuating the treble bypass?
    No, if anything it will reduce it since the tone control now follows it.

By the way, this is a treble *pass* network. Treble *bleed* is what the tone control does.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Brand of cap really doesn't matter - there isnt any performance benefit at the voltages involved here. 
    Value is more important, and being accurately on value
    The rest is all about posing value and as it's hidden inside the guitar doesn't matter

ICBM said:

By the way, this is a treble *pass* network. Treble *bleed* is what the tone control does.
    ICBM being right again

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

Being a pedant again :).

Sorry - I know that 99% of the internet calls it a treble 'bleed', but it does annoy me!

@FelineGuitars - I shall seek out an Unobtanium 8000v cap (value don't matter!) (..wink!)

@icbm - indeed - ''tis certainly passing less treble to ground

Sounding pretty good now, so thanks for all the help (as ever!)

I guess moving the wire feeding the tone controls from the wiper to the input should effectively put in into a regular Strat arrangement?
    tFB Trader
    SunDevil said:
    @FelineGuitars - I shall seek out an Unobtanium 8000v cap (value don't matter!) (..wink!)

@icbm - indeed - ''tis certainly passing less treble to ground

Sounding pretty good now, so thanks for all the help (as ever!)

I guess moving the wire feeding the tone controls from the wiper to the input should effectively put in into a regular Strat arrangement?
    yes to wire shift

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31709
    A little hint for Strats, I run a couple of wires from the volume pot into the jack socket cavity to experiment with treble pass cap values, taped up and carefully placed so they don't interfere with the jack plug. 

That means I can easily make changes in a few seconds without lifting the scratchplate, and when I'm totally happy with the value I've settled on after a few gigs I can solder the cap directly to the pot at the next string change. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom