$100 Squier Affinity Strat v $6,000 John Cruz Strat - Can you hear a $5,900 difference?

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
edited October 2017 in Guitar
Well, can you? - but don't go by the playing!

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I'm going to say b is the cruz? 
  • I know which I’d rather have, and that’s all that matters 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4929
    I may not get the full experience through my Mac mini's speakers.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4187
    Well guitar A is out of tune for a Start, I’d say B is the Cruz
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4929
    ...but through them, A seems to be more direct and cutting whereas B is softer and more characterful.
    (But the player seems to be finding B harder to play.)
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5169
    Classic....As I sound the same whatever I play...I don’t know which is which and I liked them both  :)
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    I think b is the expensive one. But put some quality pickups in the Squier and I bet it would be really hard to tell the difference.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    No, but with that awful muddy overdrive sound it's not surprising. Anything would sound more or less the same.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5773
    Tell $6000 dollars worth of difference? Nope. 

I couldn’t even tell you which was which. They’re different but as which is ‘better’ not even sure there can be a definitive answer can there?  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I could only hear $5900 worth of difference. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3171
    edited October 2017 tFB Trader
    I think B is the Squier, simply because you can hear him having to work harder to achieve the same tone as A.

EDIT: I should also say that I hated both guitars
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1569
    edited October 2017
    RiftAmps said:
    I think B is the Squier, simply because you can hear him having to work harder to achieve the same tone as A.

EDIT: I should also say that I hated both guitars
    I was going to say the opposite - seemed that there was more vibrato on A to make it sound roughly as good. I tended to think B had more subtlety to the tone, but having said that, whenever A came back in it did make me think twice....

Edit - I did also wonder if there was a little eq roll off of the high end on both which might unfairly level them up
    horse said:

I did also wonder if there was a little eq roll off of the high end on both which might unfairly level them up
    A little? There's no top end at all.

RiftAmps said:

I should also say that I hated both guitars
    I don't think it's the guitars, it sounds like an amp/recording EQ issue.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Sounded pretty much the same to me.
  • horsehorse Frets: 1569
    ICBM said:
    horse said:

I did also wonder if there was a little eq roll off of the high end on both which might unfairly level them up
    A little? There's no top end at all.
    I was meaning in terms of a low pass on the daw on both tracks rather than the tone pots on the guitars if that makes any sense / difference. On a good strat neck tone I think I hear the bluesy low / mid and also a bit of sparkle which is missing on these. Only listened on tablet though
    horse said:

I was meaning in terms of a low pass on the daw on both tracks rather than the tone pots on the guitars if that makes any sense / difference. On a good strat neck tone I think I hear the bluesy low / mid and also a bit of sparkle which is missing on these. Only listened on tablet though
    That's what I thought too. I listened on hi-fi speakers and it's just as bad.

Absolutely pointless as a comparison.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793
    I think we all know that there is a difference, but whether that difference is worth $5,900 is down to two things: -

1. Personal taste and beliefs.

and more importantly...

2. Personal wealth
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    I can hear the difference when the missus starts up about a new kitchen, extending her wardrobe, and shopping at Harvey Nichols. 

If if only I’d bought that $100 cheapy, I could have got away with it, and the only thing I’d be hearing is that guitar singing sweetly through a valve amp. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9687
    You might not hear much of a difference, and TBH the average Joe in a pub almost certainly wouldn't. However, with a guitar it's not all about the sound. Guitars are very tactile instruments and, for the player at least, a lot of it is about things like feel, finish,  etc.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1703
    The Cruz comes with a  case though .
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom