Any love for Fender road worn (Jazzmaster)?

What's Hot
LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3920
edited October 2017 in Guitar
Called into my local PMT to try a few Jazzmasters today. Despite its small frets, I really liked the 60s road worn Jazzmaster. The pickups sounded great and the worn finish felt like a comfy old friend. I much preferred it to the American Pro I also tried, whose pickups I really didn't rate at all.

I was thinking about building a partscaster  Jazzer, but this had got me thinking. Any love for road worns out there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Great guitars. Have you ever played one of the Classic Lacquer series? 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3920
    JDE said:
    No. How do they compare?
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6121
    Lebarque said:
    JDE said:
    No. How do they compare?
    Having had a Telecaster in both series, I'd say the Road Worn is superior. The Classic Lacquer model is lacquer over a poly coat, while the Road Worn (at least the one I had) was a very thin nitro on bare wood (may have had a sealer coat or something but very thin). Both were very nice guitars but the Road Worn was more immediately comfortable, like an old pair of slippers, whereas the Classic Laquer model needed a few months to break in the neck.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3347
    I’d echo above. The road worns I’ve owned have all been great guitars. Very resonant and instantly playable. The laquer series smell nice and that’s all the positives I can give them.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Lebarque said:
    JDE said:
    No. How do they compare?
    I have only played one. It looked really nice, but I couldn't keep the strings on the saddles, which is a problem I have with a most Jazz's that don't have an aftermarket bridge. They are on sale/reduced quite often though, which could take the sting out of getting a Mastery or something. I'm really not a Jazzmaster man, though. I only played the Lacquer one because it was green. 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1391
    They really need more colour options for the MIM offsets. And mint guards instead of the stark white you see on £99 gear4music guitars.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14468
    tFB Trader
    JezWynd said:
    Lebarque said:
    JDE said:
    No. How do they compare?
    Having had a Telecaster in both series, I'd say the Road Worn is superior. The Classic Lacquer model is lacquer over a poly coat, while the Road Worn (at least the one I had) was a very thin nitro on bare wood (may have had a sealer coat or something but very thin). Both were very nice guitars but the Road Worn was more immediately comfortable, like an old pair of slippers, whereas the Classic Laquer model needed a few months to break in the neck.
    tend to echo the thoughts of a played in version - somehow more character - effectively same build quality etc but just prefer the vibe of the Roadworn - I was going to say good value for the money but you'd have to take the second hand option for that now - 
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    JezWynd said:
    Lebarque said:
    JDE said:
    No. How do they compare?
    `As far as I'm aware the Roadworm is nitro over poly sealer. God know how all those mojos manage to get out ;)
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9674
    JezWynd said:
    Lebarque said:
    JDE said:
    No. How do they compare?
    The Roadworns have a polyurethane finish on the neck though!

The newer ones are much more subtly done, the first Roadworn Strats and Teles had identical wear patterns.
  • paddybpaddyb Frets: 31
    Played one for the first time yesterday and was impressed. It was really nice to play but it did go out of tune easily so I would factor in replacing the bridge to the cost