Trading in and up. developing GAS...

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793
Hi All,

Keep seeing these around and forcing myself to wonder if trading in my various cheaper guitars I don't want against one of these might be a good step... looked at both Professionals and Elites but I do know it would need to be this Sienna Burst with a Rosewood board.

Not necessarily from PMT by any stetch BTW, just happened to be the first I found.

Thoughts: https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-american-professional-stratocaster-ash-rw-sienna-sunburst
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3335
    Is there anything wrong with your current guitars or do you fancy a change?

i personally get more enjoyment out of fewer more quality guitars these days than previously where I had like 18 semi expensive ones. 
    That’s not to say all my current guitars are expensive as their definitely not but they are all quality instruments. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9571
    This was my personal 'break-through'.... i sold off a load of guitars, gear and pedals and started buying stuff I really wanted and loved.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24831
    edited October 2017
    This seems to be a fairly common topic on here at the moment - it seems quite a few people are wrestling with this type of decision.

My take is that owning guitars is pretty similar to most male pursuits; it’s dominated by thoughts of acquisition, equating quantity with success, etc.

I’ve been quietly getting rid of things I don’t need - my multiple box Naim hi fi system is now just one box for example - without getting rid of it there is no upgrade path. So I just get on with listening to it and enjoying the music, rather than obsessing over how it might be improved.

I now have far fewer guitars than I used to - but the ones I have are very good examples. I have no desire to add any more - or trade any I have. If I’m honest, I was probably at this point 30 years ago but didn’t realise it and have spent a small fortune getting back to (almost) where I was.

Trading stuff and getting to try things for a reasonable length of time is fine - but learning to recognise when you’ve got your ideal set up is an awareness that’s definitely worth developing....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11793
    grungebob said:

i personally get more enjoyment out of fewer more quality guitars these days than previously where I had like 18 semi expensive ones. 
    That’s not to say all my current guitars are expensive as their definitely not but they are all quality instruments. 
    I have a few too many, the reality is the ones I' don't need aren't cheap ones, but probably not the kind that sell instantly in the classifieds here, and I certainly don't want the hassle of eBay.  I am therefore considering trading some in.

I'm therefore tempted to change for a high-end guitar.  I probably won't buy one.

Here is the rub.  I've posted several threads in here where I post my list of guitars and people say "sell them and buy XXXX", however I've never seen a decent explanation of WHY.

I know there are obvious differences between say, a Bullet Strat and a US Elite.  Things that obviously affect tone and feel, like hardware and pickups, and ones where let's say the effect is dubious like "tonewood".

I've played very cheap and very expensive guitars, and while I'm not a great player or an expert, I've found the more expensive ones are definitely nicer, however, not THAT much nicer, and a lot of it is down to setup.  I expect a great tech could make a very playable nice sounding instrument out of almost anything from a Squier Bullet upwards.

There seems to be a lot of prejudice, especially against Epiphone.  I often see people saying the "unsung" Epiphones are some kind of lost classics, but again owning both new Chinese ones and an Unsung made one.... they are comparable in quality, and the new Probucker pickups are the main difference.

I guess part of it is because the people who have purchased very pricey guitars did it for a reason, and don't regret their decision, so they can help by suggesting people scale up in price sooner.  I guess if you have spent a chunk on your credit card, or you last bonus (nice work if you can get it) on a 3k guitar, then it will encourage you to play.

Part of it is because of the inherent desirability of more expensive items generally no doubt.

I could just shove a couple of guitars in the cupboard and stop worrying about it...
    This seems to be a fairly common topic on here at the moment - it seems quite a few people are wrestling with this type of decision.

My take is that owning guitars is pretty similar to most male pursuits; it’s dominated by thoughts of acquisition, equating quantity with success, etc.

I’ve been quietly getting rid of things I don’t need - my multiple box Naim hi fi system is now just one box for example - without getting rid of it there is no upgrade path. So I just get on with listening to it and enjoying the music, rather than obsessing over how it might be improved.

I now have far fewer guitars than I used to - but the ones I have are very good examples. I have no desire to add any more - or trade any I have. If I’m honest, I was probably at this point 30 years ago but didn’t realise it and have spent a small fortune getting back to (almost) where I was.

Trading stuff and getting to try things for a reasonable length of time is fine - but learning to recognise when you’ve got your ideal set up is an awareness that’s definitely worth developing....
    Sensible thoughts.

The fact is, it is a terribly silly thing for me to worry about.  I don't want to bin guitars I dont play but I noticed an Unsung made SG in the classifieds the other day, and it just.... dropped!  Nobody here seems to gas guitars at £150.

I've considered giving a couple to a music charity or school.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3335
    grungebob said:

I have a few too many, the reality is the ones I' don't need aren't cheap ones, but probably not the kind that sell instantly in the classifieds here, and I certainly don't want the hassle of eBay.  I am therefore considering trading some in.

I'm therefore tempted to change for a high-end guitar.  I probably won't buy one.

Here is the rub.  I've posted several threads in here where I post my list of guitars and people say "sell them and buy XXXX", however I've never seen a decent explanation of WHY.

I know there are obvious differences between say, a Bullet Strat and a US Elite.  Things that obviously affect tone and feel, like hardware and pickups, and ones where let's say the effect is dubious like "tonewood".

I've played very cheap and very expensive guitars, and while I'm not a great player or an expert, I've found the more expensive ones are definitely nicer, however, not THAT much nicer, and a lot of it is down to setup.  I expect a great tech could make a very playable nice sounding instrument out of almost anything from a Squier Bullet upwards.

There seems to be a lot of prejudice, especially against Epiphone.  I often see people saying the "unsung" Epiphones are some kind of lost classics, but again owning both new Chinese ones and an Unsung made one.... they are comparable in quality, and the new Probucker pickups are the main difference.

I guess part of it is because the people who have purchased very pricey guitars did it for a reason, and don't regret their decision, so they can help by suggesting people scale up in price sooner.  I guess if you have spent a chunk on your credit card, or you last bonus (nice work if you can get it) on a 3k guitar, then it will encourage you to play.

Part of it is because of the inherent desirability of more expensive items generally no doubt.

I could just shove a couple of guitars in the cupboard and stop worrying about it...
    I’m also a mediocre player so this all my experience.  it is diminishing returns the more you spend on a guitar for sure. I’m a life long fender fan but I honestly can’t tell the difference between a well set up Mexican strat and a USA standard so I’ll stick with the Mexican as that to me is a quality instrument that doesn’t need upgrading and gets me all the tones and playability I want from a strat.

Im also a big PRS fan and have owned models from all price points except wood library. I’m happiest with my S2 models that the rest got sold. The S2’s feel nice to play and sound great so I’ve no desire to pay more.

I can for for some strange reasons hear and feel the difference when it comes to les Paul’s and it’s here where I will spend some coin to get the guitar I expect. 

Which to me says where you can noticably differentiate the quality thats when to soend your money, otherwise you’ll regret your choices and have simply bought something for a change of colour 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    The advice I've given folks in the past is this:

1) Work out what inspires you to play - and by that I mean get lost in music, and you forget all thats going on around you and just *play*. It could be a neck profile, a shape or a sound (or all the above). Once you find it...

2) Get rid of everything else and just keep playing with that equipment.

3) Ignore twats on the internet who tell you that you "need" a particular guitar or that the tiny perceptions in sound difference between guitar X and Y are worthy of spending serious coin. By and large these guys DO NOT PLAY GUITAR OUTSIDE OF THEIR LIVING ROOM.

4) Play everything sounding like *YOU* and therefore use your favourite guitar for everything.

5) You'll be amazed that all of a sudden you will find you are able to make this guitar/amp/fx combo sound exactly the way you want it to *all the time* and by playing differently or by adjusting the controls you can make it sound very different to fit into a particular piece of music.

EXAMPLE: at the jam I brought my Goldtop. I know that guitar inside out and upside down. I played everything from soft-rock/country to blues to punk rock... and didn't adjust the amplifier or the pedal ONCE. Did it sound relevant and good each time... I'll leave it to others to judge but I thought it sounded OK. You can't get to that point if you are permanently chopping and changing, though.
    Oh and I'm sure some would have a field day criticising that guitar as 1) its chambered (heavily), 2) its a Gibson (so must be badly made) and 3) the stop tailpiece isn't bolted down tight against the body, as the angles would be wrong and I think topwrapping looks gash.

Don't believe the hype. Enjoy what you have. If you aren't enjoying it... sell it and buy something you do enjoy.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    impmann said:
    The advice I've given folks in the past is this:

1) Work out what inspires you to play - and by that I mean get lost in music, and you forget all thats going on around you and just *play*. It could be a neck profile, a shape or a sound (or all the above). Once you find it...

2) Get rid of everything else and just keep playing with that equipment.

3) Ignore twats on the internet who tell you that you "need" a particular guitar or that the tiny perceptions in sound difference between guitar X and Y are worthy of spending serious coin. By and large these guys DO NOT PLAY GUITAR OUTSIDE OF THEIR LIVING ROOM.

4) Play everything sounding like *YOU* and therefore use your favourite guitar for everything.

5) You'll be amazed that all of a sudden you will find you are able to make this guitar/amp/fx combo sound exactly the way you want it to *all the time* and by playing differently or by adjusting the controls you can make it sound very different to fit into a particular piece of music.

EXAMPLE: at the jam I brought my Goldtop. I know that guitar inside out and upside down. I played everything from soft-rock/country to blues to punk rock... and didn't adjust the amplifier or the pedal ONCE. Did it sound relevant and good each time... I'll leave it to others to judge but I thought it sounded OK. You can't get to that point if you are permanently chopping and changing, though.
    Oh and I'm sure some would have a field day criticising that guitar as 1) its chambered (heavily), 2) its a Gibson (so must be badly made) and 3) the stop tailpiece isn't bolted down tight against the body, as the angles would be wrong and I think topwrapping looks gash.

Don't believe the hype. Enjoy what you have. If you aren't enjoying it... sell it and buy something you do enjoy.

I thought your playing at the jam sounded great, especially on Pretty Vacant, IMHO of course.

I think what I need to do is spend a lot less time on here, and take back guitar playing "for me".  At the minute it is in danger of becoming tied in to the forum!

The Leicester jam was great, but I spent so much time practising for one song, couldnt warm up on the day, and it didnt go very well, that I've barely played in months.

I play guitar because I love it, I need to make my choices.

Thanks man!