Chronic cramp - any recommended fixes?

BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
edited October 2017 in Live
Last night's gig was marred by me getting chronic cramp in both hands during different parts of the set. One time was my picking hand and I couldn't even hold the pick, straighten my fingers or even strum with my fingers.
The other was my fretting hand , went to do a simple unison bend and my fingers and wrist just wouldn't move (playing 9 gauge strings, so not hard!)- literally just had to play nothing for a few bars until I could move them again. 

I'm on antibiotics at the moment so don't know if that's got anything to do with it but I'm drinking loads of water to stay hydrated. 

Really felt I let the rest of the band down but they all seemed cool and the audience still appreciated it - just wonder if anyone else has suffered this and has any tips for prevention/relief?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6684
    I've had cramp on and off for some time. Occasionally in my hands but mostly in my calves and feet at night. I used to use Ibuprofen gel which works well but have recently discovered Magnesium Oil which really does the trick. I rub it into my calves before bed and it does the trick, although I've never tried it on my hands. I reckon it's worth a shot. 
  • FezFez Frets: 525
    Cramp can be caused by salt deficiency. I know they are always on about not having too much salt but if you sweat a lot you may need a bit of a top up. Once our drummer got cramp in his leg so the singers Mrs said here eat some crisps and have glass of water within minutes the cramp was gone.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • I get cramp in my hands and feet when playing but I've found that eating a banana 30 minutes before hand helps. I think it's the potassium or something and one of the reasons sports people seem to eat loads of them.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I sometimes get it late on in our second set. I take a pack of salted peanuts to eat after our first set, and if I forget it seems to be worse.

I mainly get it in my fretting hand.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    I get a lot of cramp (in my legs mostly and often at night). It usually follows a period of perspiration from exersion (but I 'glow' easily, and sweat if I turn the page too quick). I have learned to drink lots of water particularly when undertaking exersion although it can be hard to remember when you're mid way through a job. I have learned to eat a bag of plain crisps and more water when I suspect I've seated a lot. I have less attacks but have not completely solved the issue. The body requires electrolites in liquid form which is one of the selling points of sports drinks. The big brands are in theory no better than the cheal supermarket own brand efforts. Consumption well in advance is the key rather than wait until the attack if you can prepare in some way.

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 599
    Thanks for the input so far. I do sweat quite a bit when playing but have been drinking a lot of water recently to flush out an infection. I drank 2 litres of water in the first 45min set so think I'm on top of that.
    I'll certainly give the bananas and crisps a go though - I felt so embarrassed when I literally had to stop mid tune because I couldn't move my hands/ fingers. Thing is, there was no real warning, everything just suddenly locked up. 

Any other remedies/ tips welcome.
  • I get cramps sometimes too. I have a touch of arthritis and thought that was to blame. I occasionally get pins and needles in the fingers of my left hand and saw the doctor earlier today.

She suspects it's carpal tunnel syndrome, gave me some tablets and an appointment to have bloods taken. Smashing. I must start drinking more water or take up walking or something as the last thing I need is more tablets.