New unusual retro amp head - circuit suggestions welcome.

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
edited October 2017 in Making & Modding tFB Trader
Had a couple of hours spare in the workshop today so knocked up this unusual little beauty....

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4495/23888410908_d4e4ac3536_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4472/37031902004_c5eae59c08_b.jpg

Now I need something retro and funky to put in it. 

I'm thinking EL84 for some reason ... maybe AC15 style? Tremolo? Hmmmm. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2595
    tFB Trader
    oh my, think you need to check your square!

something vintage or obscure would be cool
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    oh my, think you need to check your square!

something vintage or obscure would be cool
    Set squares are for wimps. I did all those angles by eye. Look like perfect 90degrees to me ... :-) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 215
    It might be fun to go a step beyond the usual tremolo circuits - perhaps something with Fender style Harmonic Tremolo, or Magnatone vibrato.  That would certainly suit the aesthetic IMO.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    That’s so cool. It looks like something that a character from the Jetsons would play. So something space age needs to go in there!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27219
    Whatever it is, I feel like you should include some kind of pedal-controlled delay circuit that can do this:

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72598
    AC30 Vib/Trem channel with a fully variable speed control and Top Boost tone controls.

Most AC30 derivatives - including the modern Vox ones - leave out this wonderful-sounding channel, because it takes three valves but hardly anyone uses it... I have no idea why. If I use an AC30 I always jumper the channels so I can blend it in.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Maybe a Peavey Wiggy type circuit? :)
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1682
    How about an all valve multi-fx?

Overdrive, Trem (+ maybe some other cool modulation), reverb (with a proper tank)

And a 'multi-core' cable to a foot controller.

DannyP said:
    How about an all valve multi-fx?

Overdrive, Trem (+ maybe some other cool modulation), reverb (with a proper tank)
    Like a Peavey Valverb, but built better...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1389
    It needs a big, drippy reverb.
    It also needs a matching cabinet with the tilt going in the opposite direction :).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12674
    Deffo AC30 based.

:-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

tFB Trader
    AC30 is far too much amp for me. I'm leaning towards AC15 with trem :)
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Drip tray for the left hand end to catch all the beer that will get spilled ? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Actually, I think a higher powered AC10 might be in order. Looks like a lovely vintage circuit with a great trem. Unusual valves is a bonus - EF86 and ECL82. Anyone any experience with these amps?
    Actually, I think a higher powered AC10 might be in order. Looks like a lovely vintage circuit with a great trem. Unusual valves is a bonus - EF86 and ECL82. Anyone any experience with these amps?
    Yes, I had one. They don't sound very good - thin and ratty, like an oversized AC4 instead of like a lower-powered AC15.

Unusual valves are often a pain in the backside to get good quality spares for. EF86s aren't too much of an issue, but ECL82s are - and they're just a weak-sounding valve anyway, even good ones. ECL86s are better if you must use combination valves.

If you want an EF86 preamp, build an original AC15 circuit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Yes, I had one. They don't sound very good - thin and ratty, like an oversized AC4 instead of like a lower-powered AC15.

Unusual valves are often a pain in the backside to get good quality spares for. EF86s aren't too much of an issue, but ECL82s are - and they're just a weak-sounding valve anyway, even good ones. ECL86s are better if you must use combination valves.

If you want an EF86 preamp, build an original AC15 circuit.
    Fair play. Good job I didn't just spend a couple of hours converting the AC10 schematic to a layout ... lol
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Add in an Arduino Controlled programmable tremolo.