Amp as a pedal platform for Fractal FX8?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• @Wazmeister That's a shame. Nice, simple and easy to watch video.

Any tips on getting into the FX8, manual aside (which I'm working through)? Can you download drive presets, etc.?
    Ignore all presets !

I'd start with a blank preset (best thru a Mac/PC software) and add reverb. Try North/South Church reverb.

Add a delay. etc
    Yeah, I've done that, got good results too. It was more presets of individual drives I wondered about, as starting points. There's not much hand holding in there and I'm far from a tweaker. Is it normal to have to lower the output on drives a lot to get a balance between two?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    If you're going to be gigging this setup a DrZ EZG is THE amp.

The Rambler glorious as it is, doesn't have the clean headroom of the EZG.

Alternatively a very efficient 2x12 for the Rambler might just get you there but I have to say the EZG is bloody brilliant through an EV/Red Fang oversize 2x12 when you hit it with a Riot in drop D.  Massive grins......
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    hywelg said:
    If you're going to be gigging this setup a DrZ EZG is THE amp.

The Rambler glorious as it is, doesn't have the clean headroom of the EZG.

Alternatively a very efficient 2x12 for the Rambler might just get you there but I have to say the EZG is bloody brilliant through an EV/Red Fang oversize 2x12 when you hit it with a Riot in drop D.  Massive grins......
    Dr Z seem to be a bit Marmite.  I've never liked the ones I tried.  They just seem to be all top end.

If you are using the amp as a pedal platform clean then I'm not sure you need an FX loop.  Just put the FX8 in front of the amp.

if you have the money for the Carr, I'm sure it is very good.  Otherwise, depending power requirements, I'd look at various amps in the Fender range.  At lower volumes the Princeton Reverb is very good.  If you want a bit more, then a Deluxe Reverb would probably be enough with the noise police and limiters in venues these days.  If the Deluxe Reverb isn't enough then a Hot Rod Deluxe with a speaker swap. The stock speaker in the HRD is not good.  It's a lot better with something like a Weber 12F150.  If you have no noise police around, and you want to deafen yourself, then get a Twin.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    crunchman said:

Dr Z seem to be a bit Marmite.  I've never liked the ones I tried.  They just seem to be all top end.

You've obviously not tried an EZG then! though a decent cab it's got more arse end than that Kardashian woman...
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2017
    @Wazmeister That's a shame. Nice, simple and easy to watch video.

Any tips on getting into the FX8, manual aside (which I'm working through)? Can you download drive presets, etc.?
    There are a few here ..

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fx8-preset-exchange-please-read-the-rules-before-posting.104302/

I also believe you can use the Frac Tool to examine Axe FX presets, and you can copy & paste the FX blocks into FX8-Edit? I haven't tried it though, I'm a newbie too.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, @Freebird ;
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent