Worrying fakes from China

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72497
    timmysoft said:
    I think i'm just bored of the whole clone/fake/modified thing! Why cant people just go out and buy a nice strat, a rat2 and a marshall stack anymore? Everyone has to have an obscurity on their pedalboard that's supposedly the key to all of their obviously awesome tone.

If people stopped creating demand for cheap clones and fakes then there wouldnt be any. On the flip side if manufacturers charged a sensible rate for their pedals then perhaps they wouldnt get ripped on for fakes. Take Boss for an example, DS1's are cheap, why would you buy a clone or fake? to save yourself a tenner? I'd rather pay the extra and have the branded original that had all the money spent on it during r&d. I have a strict rule that i wont pay more than £100 for a pedal, i also want it to be mass produced because i want a dealer network to look after me while i'm out on tour. 
    +1

I'll pay more than £100 for a pedal if it's something truly awesome, but that means in terms of function or genuine innovation (or most likely both) which is not obtainable from a mass manufacturer. So I'm not a fan of expensive clones.

I'm also not a fan of cheaper clones - I'd rather have the real thing, and I'm not swayed by the lower prices usually. The originals are often significantly better engineered.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    ICBM said:
    timmysoft said:
    I think i'm just bored of the whole clone/fake/modified thing! Why cant people just go out and buy a nice strat, a rat2 and a marshall stack anymore? Everyone has to have an obscurity on their pedalboard that's supposedly the key to all of their obviously awesome tone.

If people stopped creating demand for cheap clones and fakes then there wouldnt be any. On the flip side if manufacturers charged a sensible rate for their pedals then perhaps they wouldnt get ripped on for fakes. Take Boss for an example, DS1's are cheap, why would you buy a clone or fake? to save yourself a tenner? I'd rather pay the extra and have the branded original that had all the money spent on it during r&d. I have a strict rule that i wont pay more than £100 for a pedal, i also want it to be mass produced because i want a dealer network to look after me while i'm out on tour. 
    +1

I'll pay more than £100 for a pedal if it's something truly awesome, but that means in terms of function or genuine innovation (or most likely both) which is not obtainable from a mass manufacturer. So I'm not a fan of expensive clones.

I'm also not a fan of cheaper clones - I'd rather have the real thing, and I'm not swayed by the lower prices usually. The originals are often significantly better engineered.
    Yeah, i dont mind paying for a company to do r&d in the price of a pedal and i can understand why the "boutique" builders charge so much (its not a lot considering their hourly rate), but what really gets my goat is when people say "sounds identical to the original". I hear that all the time with the Mooer Black Secret, it sounds like a poor mans Rat because thats what it is, i had the Rat2 & the Mooer BS at volume and the difference was massive, the quality of tone was just not there from the BS. If its not made in the same factory from the same PCB manufacture line it just isnt going to sound the same, lots of small differences add up to it not being the same.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    +1 on what you guys are saying about clones versus fakes (and I also agree about paying more than £100 in exceptional circumstances).

The only thing I'd say about cheaper clones is that they can be a way to try a bunch of different pedals to see what you like best. If I gigged I don't think I'd trust them, though.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    Forge said:
    Rigsby said:
    Reported, hopefully one less person ripped off. Watch for it to reappear on guitarmart or gumtree though.
    It's more work, and would involve some hassle for you, but the way to stop it reappearing elsewhere would be to buy it, and when you get it, then report it to Ebay as a fake.  They will refund you your money, and tell you to destroy it.  The crook now has no money and no pedal!