Harmony Pedals?

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
Looking for recommendations for harmony pedals.

Is the Boss PS6 the one to go for these days?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 337
    Whammy has always been my pick but the footprint isn't the smallest.

A lot of people like the PS6.

Ever thought of a micro POG?
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I'll add a bit more info.

I have a TC Sub'n'up on my gigging board, and a Whammy 5 that sits at home.

I'd like a compact harmony pedal, giving 3rd, 5ths etc (and if possible intelligent major/minor options).

We're a single guitar band so I'm thinking a few nice harmonies (used sparingly) might be nice to add a bit of colour here and there.

• GulliverGulliver Frets: 850
    The new TC Quintessence looks good
    Gulliver said:
    I'd missed the news on that one....I'll check out some demos. 
  • I've got a PS-5 that does the job for harmony sections and can do whammy with an expression pedal. I'm sure the PS-6 is one better as I think it does intelligent harmonies rather than having to select a particular key.

One thing that is a  nuisance on the PS-5 and I'm pretty sure it's the same on the PS-6 is that it only does one thing at a time. If you want it to do harmony, detune or  bends you have to bend down and fiddle. I have mine for for a couple of songs. Luckily they're in the same key so I can use it for both songs without having to change the  selector knob on the pedal which is  a pain in the arse on a dark stage and when I don't have reading glasses.
  • The only thing I found that could program multiple pitch shifting presets without spending a ton of money or going full multi effect was the Line 6 M5. With an expression pedal I reckon it could do everything my old Behringer PS5 clone could do, only with presets.

The TC Quintessence probably ticks the same boxes if you only need a few settings (3 Toneprint slots) and has multiple harmonies and likely better polyphonic performance. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• The Whammy and the ricochet would be the best options I would have thought?

The sub n up only does octaves doesn't it?

The pitchfork isn't too bad. 

The eventide pitchfactor/h9 can be very glitchy but has some great unique sounds and a fair amount of delays too.

The line 6 stuff is OK but very monophonic 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Gulliver said:
    I'd missed the news on that one....I'll check out some demos. 
    I'm quite tempted to grab one off Prymaxe, they regularly have 20% off and it's only £113 to begin with.
    Harmony Man or the above mentioned M5 with an expression pedal.

I've used both and if I wasn't so attached to my Whammy 5, I'd happily use either again. In fact I still have an M5 with expression sat doing nothing somewhere...
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Boss PS-6 is really good IMO. Regret selling mine now cos the Helix one is crappy.
  • shadyshady Frets: 252

@not_the_dj - didn't I buy your Micro Pog and then end up selling it back to you? I still have the PS-6 that replaced it, the only thing it really could do with is presets. It tracks ok and packs loads in, some of which you just won't use (fun though they are) and to REALLY nail the whammy thing needs an expression pedal.

Cool though.

shady said:

@not_the_dj - didn't I buy your Micro Pog and then end up selling it back to you? I still have the PS-6 that replaced it, the only thing it really could do with is presets. It tracks ok and packs loads in, some of which you just won't use (fun though they are) and to REALLY nail the whammy thing needs an expression pedal.

Cool though.

Yes that was me. The Micro Pog went (again) and the TC Sub'n'up came in. 

I think I'm deciding between the Boss and the new TC, but for the time being I'll dig out my Whammy 5, i haven't used it in ages but luckily I resisted selling it....just the size that's a pain. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27165
    edited October 2017
    I love the Whammy. I've had a IV and 2x Vs. But obviosuly it's not a smart harmony thing. 

I assume you're wanting it for Thin Lizzy type harmonies?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I love the Whammy. I've had a IV and 2x Vs. But obviosuly it's not a smart harmony thing. 

I assume you're wanting it for Thin Lizzy type harmonies?
    A whammy would be a massive ballache for intelligent 3rds. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Ordered the TC Quintessence....should be with me Monday. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ....should be with me Monday. 
    Which is very handy as you'll have Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday AND Friday that week to return it for repair! =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Slimbert said:
    Which is very handy as you'll have Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday AND Friday that week to return it for repair! =)
    Yeah, and I'll play bonamassa covers in the style of chappers with a bigsby just to make sure I get all the forum cliches in. 
    Slimbert said:
    Yeah, and I'll play bonamassa covers in the style of chappers with a bigsby just to make sure I get all the forum cliches in. 
    Not quite all but a very good effort! *claps*