Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The new Ed O'Brien Strat

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• impmann said:
    moogie72 said:
    impmann said:
    If its stiff, and it only has two springs it needs adjusting or it needs different springs - I've found the black springs fitted to US Standards too floppy for my use, but may suit you (I'll check my drawer but I may have some). Otherwise, it may be just a case of adjusting the springs to suit you. Are you comparing this stiffness to other six-screw trems or to two-post modern jobs, as they really feel different?
    As for the floppy arm - this is my pet hatred. Fender *NEED* to wake up to the 21st century - the likes of Callaham etc have been using nylon bushes in the block for years and this totally transforms the Strat trem into something useable. That daft, crappy spring that you are supposed to drop down into the hole to take up the slack does not work as well and always gets lost. Its high time Fender changed to this system - they only grudgingly did so on the Johnny Marr Jag (similar principal, different application) and accepted that it *IS* an upgrade. Rant over.

Was comparing to my only other Strat ...a us deluxe ...whole different ball game Trem wise , so I spose I’m used to something that I shouldn’t use as a comparison 

totaly agree trem arm wise, it’s a massive let down 

I saw some replacement trem arm springs with a ball bearing in the top, apparently the bearing makes a big difference....anyone tried this? 
    Ah - if you are comparing it to the US two post... yes, it will be stiffer. I'd argue there's more control over gentle shimmers (with a replacement block with a nylon insert).

Genuinely, look out for a replacement trem block with a nylon insert - sadly the chap in Wales has stopped making them, so you are looking at a Callaham. Or you could try Wudtone. Its a great pity that Fender don't make replacement upgrade blocks with a nylon arm insert -I have suggested it on many occasions but all I get is "we supply a tension spring to insert in the hole"... yes, I know but its shit. @MattFGBI is there anything you can do?

Not tried ball bearing topped springs - I'm not sure it'll make it less stiff though.
    Any idea where I can get such a trem block....

would love to to do that then I can put a short trem arm on too....being used to a shorty on the US would help a lot...I’m already frustrated with it getting in the way haha

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22874
    moogie72 said:

would love to to do that then I can put a short trem arm on too....being used to a shorty on the US would help a lot...I’m already frustrated with it getting in the way haha

If you don't mind the price (£60+), you can get Callaham blocks, with the nylon inserts, to fit US or Mexican Strat bridges with different screw and saddle spacings.

Available from Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience in the UK if you don't want the hassle of ordering direct from Callaham in the USA.

• Philly_Q said:
    moogie72 said:

If you don't mind the price (£60+), you can get Callaham blocks, with the nylon inserts, to fit US or Mexican Strat bridges with different screw and saddle spacings.

Available from Charlie Chandler's Guitar Experience in the UK if you don't want the hassle of ordering direct from Callaham in the USA.

Ta...will take a look at Charlie’s! 
  • Update....I’m loving this guitar! It’s really growing on me! 

Anyone know now where I can get 8 hole scratch plates made up in the uk? 

Ive seen the usual stock gear on eBay etc torts and pearls, am tempted on brown tort

but I’m thinking on getting an ‘arctic camo’ from and rear, so looking for a link something reasonably priced
  • moogie72 said:
    Update....I’m loving this guitar! It’s really growing on me! 

Ive seen the usual stock gear on eBay etc torts and pearls, am tempted on brown tort

but I’m thinking on getting an ‘arctic camo’ from and rear, so looking for a link something reasonably priced
    check out this link I found on the internet regarding setting up sustainer on the EOB.

I recently purchased one, love it but agree trem block & arm are shite. have blocked mine with 5 springs but going to swap out for a Callaham

check out the link - 

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/Fender_Ed_O_Brien_Stratocaster_0140192305_SM_REV_A_11-08-2017.pdf
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3869
    moogie72 said:

Not used them myself, but www.axioncustom.co.uk
  • Pittster said:
    moogie72 said:

check out this link I found on the internet regarding setting up sustainer on the EOB.

I recently purchased one, love it but agree trem block & arm are shite. have blocked mine with 5 springs but going to swap out for a Callaham

check out the link - 

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Original/10001/Fender_Ed_O_Brien_Stratocaster_0140192305_SM_REV_A_11-08-2017.pdf
    Top find!!!! Why couldn’t they just dish those sheets out with the guitar! 
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I have one of these incoming tomorrow. Will report back...
  • kjdowd said:
    I have one of these incoming tomorrow. Will report back...
    Your thoughts?
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 394
    Thanks for the PDFs....Fender...come on supply these with the guitar!!!
    Brilliant guitar....I love it! Jon
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1292
    People complaining about the price, I would presume that the Sustainer unit is the big contributing factor there. To buy one separately and pay to have it installed (with routing and whatnot) you would easily be getting close to the 400 quid mark.