Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Thorpy Veteran (Si) available now.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    To be precise: fuzz has a bias trimmer of more or less on/off, boost has bias trimmer and grit trimmer, all supplying more juice for want of a better word. After having messed with them I suggest not doing it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A quick try last night revealed its potential. However, I’m having a little trouble getting a true clean with the guitar volume down. I’m used to vintage fuzzfaces settings wise with a good chunk of volume and fuzz increases until I can hear the support required for the clean. I have a reverb edition. Perhaps I misunderstood but the manual describes the boost tone as full bass with the pot clockwise whereas the opposite is true. I’ll double check at the weekend. 
    still, it’s clear why people rave about thorpy pedals. Both switches on is a killer. The boost alone is great. 
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Yes I was told by thorpy to leave that trim pot well alone. For him only to set when leaving the workshop 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6149
    tFB Trader
    lukedlb said:
    A quick try last night revealed its potential. However, I’m having a little trouble getting a true clean with the guitar volume down. I’m used to vintage fuzzfaces settings wise with a good chunk of volume and fuzz increases until I can hear the support required for the clean. I have a reverb edition. Perhaps I misunderstood but the manual describes the boost tone as full bass with the pot clockwise whereas the opposite is true. I’ll double check at the weekend. 
    still, it’s clear why people rave about thorpy pedals. Both switches on is a killer. The boost alone is great. 
    Luke,

The bias pot... leave that one alone. Its set for the voltage that i think works best and its done with a  multimeter. Grit... mark where it is set with a thin black marker pen and adjust it to taste if you fancy. it adds more distortion character to the boost side, so it can be a cleaner boost or a more dirty one. 

As for the manual.... I may have made a mistake there, the silicon boosts bass CCW and through to tele frequencies CW.

As for cleanup, the silicon fuzz side  will not give you the exact same "Glassy" clean with the volume control as germanium. but it will clean up nicely. The cleanup is also improved when the boost is on. hope that helps, and if you need more info, just PM me.

all the best, Adrian 

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you hot pickups and Adrian. I hope this will be the last time I mess around with possible adjustments and instead leave amps, pedals and guitars how they were intended. Going by ear I think I managed to return the trimmers to their original settings but I may have to try again. 
    Yes @ThorpyFX, I noticed there was a better glassy tone with both sides on and a much more defined and robust fuzz rather than the all out explosion with only fuzz. My first impression confirms your reimagining of vintage fx with broader possibilities. The lower fuzz settings did not give a faint unusable fuzz as on vintage models; instead a robust clean. It has successfully replaced my Sonus b108 fuzz but I’m not so confident it will win against the vl effects Jimi black treble boost: not only are they different transistors but I suspect they perform different jobs. I’ll try my best to give a better experience feedback on a separate thread. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17619
    tFB Trader
    Just giving this thread a bit of a bump as I got my Veteran today and it's really very impressive.

The starting point is a really good Fuzz Face, but it can become much more like a really characterful overdrive if you wind the smooth back a bit.

Unlike most fuzzes it's also really happy to get thrashed by an overdrive going into the front so I'm stacking a Liquid Sunshine into the front which tightens it all up a bit.

Only complaint at the moment is that you can't switch the order and try boosting the fuzz as I imagine that would also be fun.

I think I'm starting to realise I'm not that bothered about traditional amp gain as I find it a bit boring. Fuzz is more fun :)
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 535
    edited March 2019
    It ain't a Veteran if it's not 'grumpy' and constantly tells you how 'harder it was in their time'.......The punchline is that 'everything is sh1t'......

I have one of these pedals and it does, when it so chooses, shouts such statements at me. If your Veteran pedal doesn't do this then you're clearly not on @thorpyfx A list or you're not a veteran.

Any veterans out there will know this.

If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    These sounded great when I tried one. I wish there was a smaller version without the boost though.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17619
    tFB Trader
    It could be called "The Rookie"