Jet City 20 or 50 watt heads, anyone tried.owned/played one?

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
My JCM800 2203x is up on blocks, which has made me think that I could do with a spare amp.

I'd preferably like something with a similar sound/feel to the jcm800, a solo boost and more venue friendly wattage would be a plus too.

Would any of the jet city offerings be worth a look???

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    Yes - especially for the price. You want either the 20 or the 22 depending on if you want a simple single-channel or a semi-two-channel (shared EQ) one. If you want a switchable boost then the 22 is better.

The 50 is quite a big amp both volume-wise and physically, and very bright sounding without the cap mod.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Yes - especially for the price. You want either the 20 or the 22 depending on if you want a simple single-channel or a semi-two-channel (shared EQ) one. If you want a switchable boost then the 22 is better.

The 50 is quite a big amp both volume-wise and physically, and very bright sounding without the cap mod.
    Thanks, guess I;'ll keep an eye out for the 22.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Get a CODE 100 head and run it into your existing cab.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited October 2017
    I have the Jet CIty JCA20HV, a single channel "vintage" style amp....and it's bloomin' fantastic. I use pedals for boost etc and just have the amp set to a slight crunch.

I also have the Custom 22, which has two channels (shared EQ). I've only recently got that and haven't gigged it yet but the "crunch" channel suits me fine. The second channel gives more gain than I'd need, so could be used for a solo sound if you need that.

They really are great amps, not just "great for the money" but great full stop.
  • DanchiDanchi Frets: 25
    I've got a Jet City JCA22H. Use it for Marshall like sounds. Good amp for the money. Compresses a fair bit as you wind up the volume and starts to show it's limitations but it's good sound before then. Very good value imo.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 887
    I have the Jet CIty JCA20HV, a single channel "vintage" style amp....and it's bloomin' fantastic. I use pedals for boost etc and just have the amp set to a slight crunch.

They really are great amps, not just "great for the money" but great full stop.
    This is me too - been my main gigging amp for a year and a bit - set to AC/DC style crunch from the amp which cleans up nicely from the guitar - pedals in front for more drive. 

We play 70s/80s rock onwards - so AC/DC via VH & Little Angels to SOAD & RATM (it`s a festival of acronyms really!) 

I`ve recently dabbled with a HK Switchblade and a JCM 900 2100 - think I`m about to go back to the Jet City.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31659
    I've owned and gigged a JCA20H, JCA22H, JCA100HDM, and a pair of JCA Custom 22s for the last three or four years, any of them will do what you want depending on headroom.

All I would say is that I've always used a pedal boost more successfully than channel switching in a live situation, partly because of the shared EQ but also because the pedal gives a far more predictable volume level than channel switching. 

My band rarely soundchecks or rehearses though, so it's not insurmountable and the two channels are reasonably well matched on most of those amps. 

The Custom 22 is the most practical for my needs, but the one I miss most is the dirt cheap single-channel 20H. It has a warmth and a richness which none of the others quite match, though they do get close. 
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    edited October 2017
    ICBM said:

Thanks, guess I;'ll keep an eye out for the 22.
    There was a 22 in the classifieds recently - think it was @digitalscream?

Oh and I've got a 22 its a great little amp!
  • I (really) want a jet city - I’m sure I’d be happy with any of the 20 watters (I’m a mic’d up low watt kinda guy) set to crunch with pedals to boost/flavour. I much prefer the old 333 logo though - but that’s for another debate and more a problem that I have!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 535
    I have the 50 head I did the cap mod with the help of @ICBM & his excellent instructions. Fantastic amp.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    @paulphoenix I’ve a 20HV and matching cab I’m no longer using if you fancy it and are ever up Exeter way...
  • simonk said:
    @paulphoenix I’ve a 20HV and matching cab I’m no longer using if you fancy it and are ever up Exeter way...

thank you sir, super kind offer. 
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1133
    i bought the 20HV and it went back after a few days, sounded dead and sterile to me, zero character. However i do seem to be in the minority with this experience so i might have had a duff one

• newi123newi123 Frets: 887
    ^ mine benefitted enormously from replacement power valves. Didn't like the jet city eminence loaded cab either!
  • had a 50 and a 100... Both great amps for the price, I'm selling a 50watt head at the minute for £185.. But to be honest if you can find one get a laney gh50 or 100l amazing jcm800 type sound with gain boost and the loop is much better than the jet city
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    edited November 2017
    had a 50 and a 100... Both great amps for the price, I'm selling a 50watt head at the minute for £185.. But to be honest if you can find one get a laney gh50 or 100l amazing jcm800 type sound with gain boost and the loop is much better than the jet city
    I had a GH50 and it was awful. But, people keep telling me how great they are, maybe I should try again!!
    I did however have the HH loaded cab with it, so maybe that was part of the problem with it.