Quick pot taper query for SC's

Greetings folks,
Just a quick wiring question for my 3/4 scale builds. Both have 3 single coils and will have 1 tone and 1 volume. What would you recommend for pot value, taper and capacitor?
I have a good selection of caps, but all my 250k pots seem to be log. I'm fairly sure that's appropriate, but I would like to ease the niggle in my mind and order some more if I need to.
Cheers,
Adam
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14496
    A250k pots would be conventional. Start with a .022uF capacitor for the tone control. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    That confirms what i thought. 
    Cheers,
    Adam
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    The volume pot in my PRS started to cut out recently and as I'd never liked its taper I took a punt on one of the Emerson CTS ones and really liked it. It's much more smooth than a regular Log pot.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    I would use 250k Log for both pots and a .047uF cap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

May i ask the reason behind 47nF cap rather than a 22?
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    47 cuts a wider band of frequencies which some people prefer to a 22 which cuts a narrower frequency band. It's personal preference. I'm in the middle - I use a 33. :-)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485
    Kalimna said:
    May i ask the reason behind 47nF cap rather than a 22?
    Because I think it sounds better :). 22 gives quite a nasal, middy tone which I don't like.

It's the right value for guitars with 500K pots and humbuckers or P90s, but not with Fender-type single coils and 250K pots in my opinion. I also like the original .1uF value in vintage Strats, but it is *really* deep when it's turned down and can seem to cut too much volume.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Ok, that makes sense. It won't be too much of a hassle to change values if I want to. So 47nF it is. Failing that, I could always install a Varitone-type switch ;)

Adam