Go West Young Man: Genesis - Deep In The Motherlode

equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6131
This track still kills me everytime I hear it.
I was and still am a fan of Gabriel era Genesis but this track from their 1980 Album 'And Then There Were Three' is just epic in its soundscape and rams home just how fecking brilliant a drummer Phil Collins is.
IMHO a masterpiece:

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2768
    Lot to like on that album

memories of first year at university might be clouding my judgement
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72394
    That's one of my favourite Genesis albums - maybe even my outright favourite. I know it's from the unfashionable Banks-Collins-Rutherford period, but so what - it's brilliant.

Interestingly I prefer Peter Gabriel's solo work after Genesis to the Gabriel-era band as well. A band who were somehow less than the sum of their parts! (But I do particularly like Trespass.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6131
    Here's another stunning cut from the same album: Snowbound:

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    I love Genesis. Can't think of many bands that lose their lead singer so the drummer steps up to the mark, then lose their lead guitarist so the bass player steps up to the mark. Must confess I've never listened to the last album they did without Collins... But yeah - And Then Tnere Were Three is a great album.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72394
    AlexC said:
    I love Genesis. Can't think of many bands that lose their lead singer so the drummer steps up to the mark, then lose their lead guitarist so the bass player steps up to the mark. Must confess I've never listened to the last album they did without Collins...
    I have.

Let's just say "and there were two and a singer who was famous for being on thirty seconds of a Levi's advert" wasn't quite such a good idea...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    ICBM said:
    AlexC said:
    I love Genesis. Can't think of many bands that lose their lead singer so the drummer steps up to the mark, then lose their lead guitarist so the bass player steps up to the mark. Must confess I've never listened to the last album they did without Collins...
    I have.

Let's just say "and there were two and a singer who was famous for being on thirty seconds of a Levi's advert" wasn't quite such a good idea...
    Thought that might be the case.
  • Great album. I had it in vinyl when it first came out. Thanks for reminding me of it.
    It's not a competition.