WTF do I do with these? (Tele bits and build content!)

What's Hot
m_cm_c Frets: 1240
edited October 2017 in Making & Modding
After foolishly stumbling over @lonestar's Axecaster SC Relics and some nitro thread, and with a bit cajoling from @Teyeplayer and speedy delivery by @gavin_axecaster, I now have the following bits in my possession -

I've had a desire for a tele for a while, and had been looking at kits as I like to build things, but had been put of by having to finish the body. I can spray paint, but don't really have anywhere to do it properly, as a cold damp dusty workshop is far from ideal.

Roll forward to yesterday, when I happened to look at the afore mentioned thread, and up on seeing the Butterscotch body the cogwheels started to crunch. Then a bit more browsing led to me possible necks. Personally, I think a maple neck on the body would make the whole guitar a bit pale, ebony would be too dark, and was thinking rosewood would be a nice compromise, however the roasted flame maple neck caught my eye, and another cogwheel crunched.

Now I've got both in my possession, all I can say is wow!
Despite having never previously understood the whole relic thing, I'm loving the look of the body. It's definitely a case of less is more, and @lonestar has done a fantastic job on it.
As for the neck, as @gavin_axecaster said in the other thread, photos really don't do it justice. When you move it under the lights, it's like a huge flamed holograph. I've already spent far too long just rolling it around under the lights!

Now onto the next thing, I've never built a guitar before, so need to work on a big list of bits. So, starting at the top, I have the following list so far-
Machine heads
String Tree
Nut
Neck Plate/Screws
Strap pins
Pickguard/screws
Bridge/Saddles
Pickups
Control Plate
Selector Switch
Volume Pot
Tone Pot
Cap
Knobs
Jack Socket

I'm not in any rush to get this finished, as I've still got a couple non-guitar projects to get finished, but when I get time, I'll work my way through the list.
If anybody has any hints/tips/suggestions/comments please feel free to post them, as for the first time in a while, I'm actually feeling a bit of 'what the f*** have I got myself into', but I'm sure with a bit patience and guidance all will turn out good.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3201
    That was quick! Looks awesome already buddy. 

I’ve already recommended @Alegree cirrostratus pickups, they are just fantastic tele pickups and have gained a lot of appreciation around here.

For finishing, I can also recommend the rather fetching pre-reliced parts that @gavin_axecaster stocks, lots of these are equally subtle and will fit your build perfectly.

On a personal note I’ve tried 50s wiring on my latest tele build and though it’s not the traditional approach for a tele it certainly allows for a broader tonal sweep. Well worth experimenting with.

Good luck with the rest of the build, I’ll be following with interest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    edited October 2017 tFB Trader
    Looking forward to your build! (Don't forget strap pins, string tree, jack cup, knobs, wire and cap)
    Also these paper in oil caps are rather nice too, I’ve had a number off this fella for both my Les Paul and both tele’s:
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F190834286580
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Plus you save on P+P as I can supply pretty much your entire shopping list ;)
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    Extra bits added to the list, and jack removed as I never realised one came with the jack cup.

My main thought at the moment is actually what colour pickguard. I think some mockups may be necessary to help with that decision, but initial thought is 3 ply parchment, or possibly a matt/satin white.

My current plan is to get the major assembly done first, so nut, bridge, and neck plate are top of the list.
    Nut, I'm guessing this is the one - http://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_22&products_id=394
    Bridge's I have no idea, so I'll need to do some research.
    And I'm thinking of machining my own neck plate, then getting it nickel plated

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    This is awesome @m_c , well done! :)

I actually looked at that neck and thought of that particular body as a nicely matched pair (as you’ve discovered). Very happy that you’re happy mate. @gavin_axecaster  will sort you out for the matching aged hardware and if you need any further help we’re just a message away. 

I use Wilkinson parts on my stock, works a treat and is both accessible and affordable via Axecaster. 
  • mikem8634mikem8634 Frets: 382
    Oh my.

@gavin_axecaster
    @alegree
    @streethawk

have all served me well recently with top quality guidance, parts and service.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2017
    m_c said:
    Extra bits added to the list, and jack removed as I never realised one came with the jack cup.

My main thought at the moment is actually what colour pickguard. I think some mockups may be necessary to help with that decision, but initial thought is 3 ply parchment, or possibly a matt/satin white.

My current plan is to get the major assembly done first, so nut, bridge, and neck plate are top of the list.
    Nut, I'm guessing this is the one - http://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_22&products_id=394
    Bridge's I have no idea, so I'll need to do some research.
    And I'm thinking of machining my own neck plate, then getting it nickel plated

That’s the one but will take some fettling to get in (as with all nuts). 

For the socket/jack cup can I recommend end the electro socket rather than traditional -it is just so much easier to fit.
    http://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_14&products_id=39

An aged white pickguard would look cool with that body, very late fifties.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for the jack cup suggestion. It's been added to the shopping list.

I've just been looking at bridges, and I think it's safe to say, my head now hurts!
    I'm currently swaying towards a GOTOH 6 saddle bridge - http://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_37&products_id=227
    But I'm not entirely sure. I'm also thinking a more conventional tele style with compensated saddles might be more fitting, however I'm not really aiming for any specific period look, so function over form may win..

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited October 2017
    m_c said:

I've just been looking at bridges, and I think it's safe to say, my head now hurts!
    I'm currently swaying towards a GOTOH 6 saddle bridge - http://www.axecaster.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_37&products_id=227
    But I'm not entirely sure. I'm also thinking a more conventional tele style with compensated saddles might be more fitting, however I'm not really aiming for any specific period look, so function over form may win..

I have some spares mate - a new shiny bridge with brass saddles, and a proper relic'd Fender one with steel saddles. 

Not going to use both so you can have one if you like. Let me know if you do and drop me a PM. 

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Oh, and I have some spare relic'd control plates if you want one too..
    edited October 2017
    m_c said:

I have some spares mate - a new shiny bridge with brass saddles, and a proper relic'd Fender one with steel saddles. 

Not going to use both so you can have one if you like. Let me know if you do and drop me a PM. 

Legend.

Take one of these bridges and order yourself some compensated saddles. Either Wilkinson or Gotoh will do the job just fine. 
    I've been avoiding this in an effort to make some headway in other projects, which I have, however wandering minds have been looking at various websites and photos.

First up, thanks @Bridgehouse for the offer. I'm still swaying towards an L shaped bridge, as I prefer the cleaner look compared to the more traditional 3 sided bridges, but nothing is set in stone yet.

I have been looking at machine heads, and I'm overwhelmed with the choice. I'm currently thinking something satin/nickel finish, but that's as far as that decision has gone. I'm tempted by something locking, but I've survived so far without locking, so I'm not sure if they're really worth the extra expense.

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2526
    edited November 2017
    Interesting! I have the same dilemma.  I've just stripped by Baja and oiled it up to a nice finish.  But now with the neck on I think I need to either a) do something to darken/age the neck or b) buy a rosewood neck with similar specs to the Baja as I love the neck.

Suggestions/ideas welcomed

tFB Trader
    To be honest it's just a shame there is no real grain visible in your neck - I think it looks just a bit vanilla against the grain of the body.
    Maybe a roasted maple neck would be a good compromise - not as bling-tastic as the one in this thread, but regular roasted maple.
    Profile is going to be an issue though. The Allparts roasted necks are based on their "C" designation necks, which have 10" radius and narrow/tall frets and a late 50s-ish back profile. Plus they're out of bloody stock!
    Depends on how much you want to spend - you could send the Baja neck to a luthier copy the profile and make you something custom, which will probably be necessary if you opt for rosewood. If you want roasted maple Warmoth can probably sort you out - their boatneck profile will be kind of close to the Baja I think.
    http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/images/necks/BackContours/Boat.jpg

• To be honest it's just a shame there is no real grain visible in your neck - I think it looks just a bit vanilla against the grain of the body.
    Maybe a roasted maple neck would be a good compromise - not as bling-tastic as the one in this thread, but regular roasted maple.
    Profile is going to be an issue though. The Allparts roasted necks are based on their "C" designation necks, which have 10" radius and narrow/tall frets and a late 50s-ish back profile. Plus they're out of bloody stock!
    Depends on how much you want to spend - you could send the Baja neck to a luthier copy the profile and make you something custom, which will probably be necessary if you opt for rosewood. If you want roasted maple Warmoth can probably sort you out - their boatneck profile will be kind of close to the Baja I think.
    http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/images/necks/BackContours/Boat.jpg

Cheers @gavin_axecaster what do you reckon it would cost to commission a neck to spec?  Might just end up aging my neck to blend it in more  :o
    tFB Trader
    To be honest I have no idea.
    @GSPBASSES is the guy to speak to. Check out some of his threads to see his work.
    @lovestrat74 that neck is very plain. To me it's the kind of neck you'd put on something solid coloured, as it's just dull in comparison with the body. I'm not even sure if aging it would make that much difference :-/

Getting back to my project, today's deliveries included these -

A set of Schaller F-series Nickel machine heads, and a cheap hand reamer.
    Following on from my enlarging tuner holes thread (http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/117237/enlarging-tuner-machine-head-holes), I've opted for the gentler option.
    Another couple deliveries today :-)

I now have all the bits to enable me to assemble it and get strings on, with the exception of a string tree (it's not as if I made of a list of all the bits I needed...).
    I'll admit I'm not entirely convinced by the pickguard. Looks lovely against the neck, but it just seems a bit too pale/plain against the body. I'm wondering if a bit artificial aging/dirtying on it would work.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @m_c ;

THIS => a bit artificial aging/dirtying on it would work.  ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom