Choosing new valves/biasing without death

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• It does, @DJH83004 Thank you. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hoping one of you wise men (I know it's not yet Xmas but I'm imagining @ecc83 @ICBM and @DJH83004) might help me conclude my purchase here.

There are a bunch of kits for this amp available in the USA, using a variety of valves (brands), but Hot Roxx just said all JJ. Is there much mileage in different brands? It's the pre-amp valves that very most. 

Last question: the V1 is often talked about making most difference, as is the phase inverter. It seems it's recommended that these are both balanced valves. Is that right?

Thanks. Appreciate your patience and advice!

My band, Red For Dissent
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72400
    Don't pay extra for balanced preamp valves - they're totally unnecessary since the circuit is inherently unbalanced. (Or 'cryogenic' ones for that matter.)

Yes, different valve brands sound different. I'm personally not a fan of JJ preamp valves, but many people do like them. Their power valves are some of the more reliable though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    To be honest IARJ there are probably better people out there than me who can now advise about the tonal qualities of the various preamp valves, I tend to fit JJs because of their robustness when there is no preference, but a lot of customers ask for TADs or EH for example. 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636

I always found the TAD 7025 HG quiet and reliable but of course, things change.

Dave.

• Thanks, all. Biased the EL84s no issue. Then broke a 6V6 :( Still, learned that the biasing is easy, so overall happy enough!

My band, Red For Dissent