Help identifying a Tokai

MototechMototech Frets: 102
I've traded a Breezysound which I can't really find any info on, the only thing I could find on the Tokai registry is that the headstock shape & logo date it to 1985....MAYBE!
There is no serial number, as seems to be the case with some Tokai's, but there is writing in the front of the heel, see photo. It is double bound, with what looks like mother of toilet seat & has a quilted top. I looked through the old catalogues on the Tokai registry & couldn't find anything similar.

Any help with age & correct model would be appreciated.

Brian.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited October 2017
    Is it definitely MIJ?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Never seen a Breezy with a top like that
  • MototechMototech Frets: 102
    It appears to be, or someone has gone to a lot of trouble to dummy it up. The Made in Japan & writing on the heel are lacquered over & on very close inspection, everything about the guitar looks like a fairly well looked after 30 odd year old tool.
    The print on the heel looks to me like 72, but there doesn't appear to be a TTE or ATE 72 model.
    All very confusing!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16736
    What’s the rest of the hardware?

there is at least one other maple topped breezy out there similar to this.... because I made one from a NOS factory fresh neck I was given.  
    edited October 2017
    The tuners are vintage type marked DELUXE, bridge is original ashtray, with brass, compensated saddles fitted, guy I bought it from changed electrics 2 years ago because the originals were getting scratchy.
    The original pickguard is white, but he preferred black.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    I could have sworn I got this in 2016 but I've just found my original NGD thread it it seems I got it earlier his year. My sincere apologies - age definitely messing with my head.

Anyway, here's a link to that thread when I was asking much the same questions.

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/105651/ngd-tokai-breezysound-japan#latest

Im sure it's a genuine Tokai Japan - I have found other threads on forums elsewhere where there are quilter maple top Breezys. I think there's a reference to the Belfast Guitar Emporium selling another and they sold plenty of Japan Tokai guitars.

Good luck with the search for info - its hard to come by.
    Thanks @Chuffola, ; I'll poke around & see if I can come up with some answers, but Tokai identification is certainly not an exact science!
    I contacted the factory with all the info I have  & you're going to love their answer.
    Produced around 2005. Model? THEY DON'T KNOW!!!!  
    They have me a list of spec which matches, but can't tell me which model it is. Japanese efficiency at its finest.  ;)
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    It would appear that the original hang tag would be the only thing that identifies the model. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14507
    The serial number was probably stamped onto the original bridge.

The compensated bridge saddles cannot possibly be original. Many Eighties Tokai Breezysound guitars came with a bridge that lacked the side lips. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    It appears the serial number was on some bridges, but not others, absolutely no consistency. The saddles were replaced by the last owner.