Steve Hackett 70s fuzz sounds with Genesis?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Ro_S said:
    Top Tone DG1,
    Are you suggesting a circa £250 pedal for a fuzz newbie?
    Whatever gives you that idea? He isn't a newbie and he's clear about what he wants to achieve - he just hasn't owned a fuzz for a long time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    I've said this before I know, but - a Boss FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz is a copy of the FY-6 circuit with added active bass and treble EQ which makes it extremely versatile. Only available used, and it's true that they aren't as cheap as they once were, but they are not as expensive as most 'boutique' fuzz pedals and unlike most are virtually independent of the amp (or other pedals) because they're properly buffered.

The Line 6 DM-4 is also - maybe surprisingly - a very good pedal. Don't laugh unless you've tried one, it's miles better than the modelling in a Pod etc.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited November 2017

Ro_S said:
    Top Tone DG1,
    Are you suggesting a circa £250 pedal for a fuzz newbie?
    TheBigDipper said:

Whatever gives you that idea? He isn't a newbie and he's clear about what he wants to achieve - he just hasn't owned a fuzz for a long time. 
    I said fuzz newbie
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Thanks for sharing the Hackett video, I love the way that he is entirely not precious about vintage / boutique gear, that he continues to explore the possible pallete of electric guitar sounds in a very musical way, and that the Genesis Revisited tours have been such a success for him. The band at the time he was with them created such wonderfully unique music that he very much had a part in creating. He was rather marginalised in that bio film a few years back but I guess that's because what followed after he left was hugely more commercially successful. 
    This is the truth from hillbilly guitars!
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    ICBM said:

The Line 6 DM-4 is also - maybe surprisingly - a very good pedal. Don't laugh unless you've tried one, it's miles better than the modelling in a Pod etc.
    Hmmm, its not the modelling thats better (its the same code used in a different access format as the Pod/Pod Farm/Pod XT etc).

Its actually the analogue circuitry inside designed by Georg Tripps (yes, *that* Georg Tripps before he was poached by Dunlop) that gives all the 4x4 modellers a great sound.

The DM-4 is actually beloved of a great number of famous guitarists - the intro to Vertigo by U2, for example, is a DM-4 into an AC30. In fact, Edge has a special DM-4 custom made by Line6 as a rack mount unit that lives in his live rack set up.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Very interesting! Thanks for the correction - I assumed it was better processing. They do really sound good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited November 2017
    impmann said:

[re: Line 6 DM4 distortion modeller]

Its actually the analogue circuitry inside designed by Georg Tripps [...] that gives all the 4x4 modellers a great sound.
    can you tell me more about the analogue circuitry in this pedal, or do you have a source?  thanks
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw