Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Out of 10, how would you honestly rate your singing ability ?

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9762
    edited November 2017
    I suspect from the number of low ratings that a lot of us are our own worst critics. 

I know people (none of them musicians) who are genuinely tone death and have no concept of absolute or relative pitch. These are the people that I guess would score zero.

However, I guess that as a community of guitar players, admittedly of differing abilities, that even if our singing isn't as good as we'd like we are at least aware of things like phrasing and pitch. We tend to know when we're not getting it right. As with most things, once you understand the problems, you're well on your way to solving them. Also, as with most things, a bit of work and practice will improve your singing immensely.

I've only really tried singing (at a local jam night) within the last year or so. First time was, if not actually a disaster, at least a disappointment. Next time was a bit better. Time after that was a bit better still. Practice, even if not making perfect, is at least making better.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I'm gonna say a hopeful 5. Because I can objectively sing in tune, but my voice isn't particularly strong or characterful.

On the other hand, I'd also say that to a large extent how well you sing doesn't matter. What matters is forging an emotional connection with the listener, and there are plenty of crap singers who do that better than technically proficient ones (not that being better doesn't make things easier!)
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 587

Based on Grun's scale I'd probably sit myself at around a 5.  Listening back to myself probably nearer 1!

Interesting reading a few comments about "I can hit" or "I can't hit" and this is something I find often talking to singers, they equate goodness to top end range.  I think most people can sing, this problem is most people don't know what register they should sing in.

I do it myself to be honest, so I can't really have a go about it ... always choosing the wrong key for songs.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10483
    I used to hate my voice and really struggled to sing live but like anything, the more you do it the more comfortable you are with it. Another thing is the more you do it the larger your range gets so everything gets easier. Would only rate myself around a 3 really though as I don't have the ability to land spot on the notes with the precision you really need to call yourself a singer
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • keithfkeithf Frets: 372

2,3 at best,

I manage to do a solo show but its a struggle as @welshboyo can testifiy

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    I'm going for 1. I can't be a zero as Mrs A is worse than me.

It's very disappointing to not be able to sing. I can do great impromptu piano backings with a chord sheet and sing along at the same time, but I just sound so terrible. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    I won a scholarship with mine to the Temple Church Choir in London and associated bursary to the City of London Boys School...

I sang Oh For The Wings Of A Dove/Hear My Prayer.... and got complimented by this man who was sitting in the pews at the time of the audition, an old, old  man...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    An drummer in a band I was in once in said I have a great voice for not a very good singer, I'm still not sure what that means...

About a 5 on a good day
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12438
    I had a shit singing voice at 16 and it's steadily got worse
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12438
    edited November 2017
    Do re mi fa so la ti DOH!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • According to me and my kids a 1.
    According to my wife a 4. Based on a gig I did years ago and ended up singing one sing.
    I probably could sing with lessons as I have quite a powerful deep voice, alas it would not suit the music I'd like to sing.
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1865
    1. Probably should be zero, but I'm giving myself 1 point for being able to recognise how bad it is, and refraining.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • I have tried karaoke. The only song I can "sing" is Jumpin' Jack Flash.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Eleven
  • Around a 7 maybe 8.

I suck at guitar.
  • I'm a 6 or 7 depending on the context. I'm not frontman but if you want harmonies, counterpoints and the occasional sideman-takes-a-vocal I'm your man.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Have we had any minus scores yet? If not minus 5 for me! 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4934
    I'm a 6 or 7 depending on the context. I'm not frontman but if you want harmonies, counterpoints and the occasional sideman-takes-a-vocal I'm your man.
    Same for me, although I'm way out of practise nowadays.  

I used to be in a covers band, and we'd do Eagles songs in original keys - I'd be happy singing the harmony a third above the melody.  The one that was impossible for me was the turnaround in "New Kid in Town", where it modulates up 3 semitones!

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24503
    Grunfeld said:
    Keeping it scientific I found an outcome measure... edited and revised as per the latest research from @ICBM ;
    10 - magical - a unique voice
    9 - superb
    8 - really good, obvious lead singer in a pro band
    7 - good - like one of the best on the covers circuit
    6 - alright - like most of the singers on the covers circuit
    5 - not bad - hits most of the notes but forgettable
    4 - needs some lessons/ practice
    3 - king of the shower
    2 - drunk singing / football chants
    1 - clueless
    0 - no

So, I reckon I'm a 5 on a bad day, 6 on a good.

I think your scale is too heavily weighted towards the good singer end.  6 should not be “like most of the singers on the covers circuit”.  It should be more like “slightly better than the average random person”.  (and so on..).
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."