NGD Another.....

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
Not another as in I’ve bought loads but another as in.... https://imgur.com/a/T6ijR

I like my old Sheraton that much that I thought I’d get another. My old one has P90’s and my new one will have @Van_Hayden PAF’s in. 
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice! I still need to try a Sheraton. Might have to have some more gear geek time with you at some point Shaun! ;) 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Good choice....
  • very nice ...2 lovely guitars there..
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    What do you think about Zebra coils on one of those guitars. Would it look terrible? 

I cant make up my mind if it would look good or horrible
  • shaunm said:
    What do you think about Zebra coils on one of those guitars. Would it look terrible? 

I don't think it's a good look on these. Covered buckers or p90s but not zebras. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    shaunm said:

Cream bobbins, gold slugs/screws with the gold open topped surround..

http://i64.tinypic.com/14c4j2r.jpg
  • andy1839 said:
    shaunm said:

Cream bobbins, gold slugs/screws with the gold open topped surround..

http://i64.tinypic.com/14c4j2r.jpg
    That looks really nice actually! 

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Re the zebra pickups idea, if it gives you any idea, I recently had an Oil City set made with gold screws/slugs for my blonde Ibanez semi-acoustic, and think they look rather spiffing:

@Megii I think that looks great. 

How are the pickups working out for you and what spec did you go for?
    shaunm said:
    @Megii I think that looks great. 

How are the pickups working out for you and what spec did you go for?
    Cheers! Nice pickups, and they seem to suit the guitar well, at least for my needs - I was after something PAF-ish that could do sweet clean sounds, and cover jazz sounds from the neck pickup, but a bit more output than a typical PAF type from the bridge, and good for smooth sustaining overdrive tones, while also still good on clean tones, and able to combine nicely with the neck pickup. I went for a Blitz Spirit neck (alnico 2, 7.6K) and Nightfighter bridge (alnico 4, 14K ish). The Nightfighter has really impressed me - it has the extra output I wanted, but still sounds kind of "vintage" to my ears, especially if I back off the volume a tad - a really versatile pickup. And the combined pickups have almost a bright single-coil kind of thing happening, which works well for funk rhythm playing, for example.
    I thought I’d do an update on this thread as I’ve got my new Sheraton back from @Van_Hayden who has made some new pickups for it, put in a loom and levelled the frets. It’s now a superb guitar. 

As you you can see I am a fan of these 

https://imgur.com/a/y9FAS

The one on the right is the Chinese made 2015 model the one on the right is 2006 Korean. The neck size and weight is virtually identical between the two which is he reason I kept the new one. I’m quite particular about necks on these guitars and to find one that is nearly a match for my old one is great. 

The new one has a set of Humbuckers made by Bulldog, a Patenent number in the neck and an Alnico 2 in the bridge. These suit the guitar perfectly, the bridge has bite and has a teleesqe spank to it when clean but with a fuzz face on it roars. The neck is thick but importantly is neither boomy or muffled, two pet hates I have about neck humbuckers. Hayden has done a wonderful job. 

I got to spend a few hours today a/b testing my new one against my older one which has BKP Mississippi Queens in (there’s a chance Hayden made those pickups too as he was making BKP’s back then).  

They good news is that they sound different enough to justify owning two near identical looking guitars. The BKP’s are a little more snarly and shouty when clean and no doubt have more top end but they don’t have girth of the Humbuckers. 

These guitars get mentioned on here quite often when people ask for afordable 335 alternatives. Quite right too. They are not all created equal, I’ve had three of these that I’ve sold on as I didn’t like the necks (too thin) but what is clear is that they make a great base for modding which in turn changes a modestly priced guitar into a real contender. With the right pickups and a good setup these guitars perform way better than the price would suggest. I’m not going to say they are better than 335’s, that’s silly as I’ve played some astonishing 335’s. I will say that my two are better than some 335’s as these two are great and I’ve played some 335’s I just didn’t rate. 

If you are after a 335 but can’t stretch the the £3000 that the good RI’s come in at or want to try this style of guitar out then put these on your shopping list and give them a try. Put aside a few hundred pounds for some quality changes and you will be surprised how much Guitar you’ve got for the cash.
    A brace of blonde Sheratons! They looks great, don't blame you at all for doing that.
    Megii said:
    A brace of blonde Sheratons! They looks great, don't blame you at all for doing that.
    Thank you @Megii ;

I have tried enough guitars over the years to know what works for me. No matter what I’ve owned my Sheraton has seen them all off. 

Now I have two with slightly different flavours. 

I will say that the old one still does feel better, sort of like a pair of worn in shoes vs a pair of new ones. I guess you can’t replicate over ten years of play quickly.
  • I hope these are coming to the jam as I really wanna get my paws on one and see how good they can become with a bit of work. 

shaunm said:
    Megii said:
    Thank you @Megii ;

I have tried enough guitars over the years to know what works for me. No matter what I’ve owned my Sheraton has seen them all off. 

Now I have two with slightly different flavours. 

I will say that the old one still does feel better, sort of like a pair of worn in shoes vs a pair of new ones. I guess you can’t replicate over ten years of play quickly.
    I guess not, though I do find getting my preferred strings on and a good setup (usually including a fret level) helps a lot. You've put the idea in my head to maybe get a second hand Sheraton and fit hum size P90s, to "compliment" my Ibby - completely unneeded but... :D
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Great stuff. They are great guitars, I'd love to see how much different it is now. 
    @Megii utter nonsense, no guitar is completely unneeded ha. The BKP Queens do sound excellent in it.

@Legionreturns yes indeed, I will bring them both along.

@andy1839 it is quite different sound wise. It’s the clarity and articulation that is improved. Add to that a top set up where the sharp fret ends have been sorted and it’s a much nicer playing experience too. Great guitars as a starting point to mod.
  • Cool guitars. I have the newer  Chinese sheraton  also in natural... has 11-50 strings on and set up perfectly but fancy upgrading wiring loom,pots,switch and Jack.and fancy a beefier bridge humbucker... all food for thought.thanks for updating. Both look cool guitars and I bet they sound the bees knees. ;)