Andy Timmons inspired build...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I suggest you substitute where appropriate - the neck position for me is his most distinctive tone - i picked up a cruiser bridge sh recently for £45 , maybe weight your budget accordingly . Plenty of JB type HB out there - AT based on that afaik .

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For me, the most distinctive part of Andy's tone is when he rolls off the volume knob to clean up his dirty tone.  He has a 150k resistor and a .001 mfd cap wired in parallel which gives him that sound.  

With this in mind, from your point of view, I don't think it would matter _that_ much if you didn't use the right pickups, but used the high pass filter (or whatever the proper term is) so you got that sparkly sound when rolling down the volume.  Timmons is always using his volume pot.  

Could you get a set of similar pickups, with roughly the same output and eq curve, from a different company?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    For me, the most distinctive part of Andy's tone is when he rolls off the volume knob to clean up his dirty tone.  He has a 150k resistor and a .001 mfd cap wired in parallel which gives him that sound.  

With this in mind, from your point of view, I don't think it would matter _that_ much if you didn't use the right pickups, but used the high pass filter (or whatever the proper term is) so you got that sparkly sound when rolling down the volume.  Timmons is always using his volume pot.  

Could you get a set of similar pickups, with roughly the same output and eq curve, from a different company?

The bit about the treble bleed is spot on to get some of that Timmons tone. Lucky enough to have an AT10 and have put a kinman bleed mod in which makes those neck pickup tones attainable. 

I think the cruisers are the key bit as the AT1 in the bridge doesn't sound that unique to me. Something JB like will get you there. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom